Anti Lock brake light comes on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Yatkowitz

Reaction score
Over the last two weeks, my anti lock brake light has been coming on. Once I turn the car off and start it up again it goes off, any comments on what i should check?

Mine started making a slight grinding noise on the drivers front wheel. I assumed the brake pads were due. Couple of days later I had the same issue with the ABS light. I figured that the pads were bad and that was the issue (grinding was worse). Upon beginning the job it turned out that my wheel bearing was bad. After I replaced that no more ABS light issue. The ABS sensor and wheel bearing is one unit so maybe check into that? It may not be that at all, but I would assume that some sensor is bad as it comes on within several seconds of driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad hub bearings are a common cause of the ABS light.

That said, the best thing to do is to go get the code pulled and then we can help you MUCH better.

There should be a "historical" code even if the light has turned off.

It will not clear until something like eight cycles where there is no issues.

I can tell you that it is common for the rear sensor to fail as well as the front sensors to trip the light due to a defective hub bearing. As the hub bearing fails, it seems to trip the light.

Without a code, all we can tell you is the law of averages.

Ok, i'll have to get a better scanner! While rotataing my tires today it was a perfect time to look at the brakes. Brakes are pretty low, I kknow what I'm doing next week.:angry:

Thanks for the info.

Update, Thank you all for your input, had my friend scan the puter and it came up with a bad R/F sensor. So I repalced all the brakes cut rotors and drums and replaced the two front bearings which came with new sensors.

Next time I get this motivated I will switch the rear drums to disc.:banana::banana::driving: