Any Contractors Out There?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Housman

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of people on here who are pretty knowledgable and I'm just looking for a little insight on a job i have. There are probably some people who have had work done and can chime in as well. Sorry if this is a little long. Here's the deal----

In July my wife and I purchased a house. This house was owned by an 87 year old woman before us and showed some signs of neglect. We started working on the house immediately after buying it and didn't move in until September. We have remodeled every room so far on the first floor and only our kitchen is left to complete. We completely gutted the kitchen from top to bottom and put up new sheetroock on every wall as well as the ceiling. Now things are taking too long in my opinion to get done. Work took me away from working on my house for 2 months and I'm getting to the point where I just want my kitchen finished. What I want done is I want to have someone come in and not finish my kitchen for me but finish the drywall part of the job. i want to have everything taped and sanded and smooth ready for a coat of paint. I'll take it from there. I'll handle the molding and painting and anything else i decide to do.

I've had 2 people over to give me estimates and a third coming this week. My kitchen is 672 square feet. one estimate was for $800 and the other was $600. Like I said before I started the job and am just looking for someone to finish sanding, taping and readying the walls and ceiling for a coat of paint. Are these estimates reasonable? I know that going by just this information and not seeing the actual project doesn't help but i'm just looking for a little insight. Should i contract it out and be done with it and ready to paint in 5-7 days or should i trudge on, try to save my money and see how long it takes? Thanks in advance for any advice given. I won't be back on here until sometime tomorrow so if you ask any questions i can't answer them until tomorrow. Thanks again.

Those are good prices because they have to come back 2-3 times to do the Spackle work...

Try the local rag papers, some times you can find a licensed part time contractor who may be cheaper, but you also get what you pay fore...

Todd Z

you will not find a lic contractor to do it cheaper.

They have to pay for their guys, the truck, the misc material that is needed, the tools to do it, the ins on the workers, and many more things on top of this little list.

Being that it is a small room, why not go to your local rental yard and rent a sprayer for a day.

spray the room, and be done with it.

Drywall, if done correctly, is a PITA, in my opinion. I'd rather do anything else!

If done correctly. the price you were quoted seems fair, especially if they can

have it done within the week for you.

Sounds like you and the wife have worked hard on this house. Be good to

yourselves and have this part finished by a GOOD drywaller.

TnB...:)

I had a drywall guy do that type of work before. He taped, mudded, sanded, left the drywall ready for priming. I too don't like doing that type of work and it's not worth my time to do it.

He estimated the work by the full sheet (4x8). We had about 65 full sheets, he charged $10/sheet....regardless how many corners, outer or inner, soffits, etc. I paid him in cash, $600 (he dropped the price $50 for cash payment...I know the deal), he worked about 8 hours total across 3 days. I couldn't have done it that fast.

This was 1999, so I suspect he charges more now, but that gives you an idea.

Most guys will do a job that size over several days as padding for other local jobs they are doing, and they won't really discount for the work you have already done because much of it they will redo.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Painter /vwc hanger /finisher by trade. For the turn over time you said (5-7 days) 600 - 800 is a good typical price from a tradesman on the side( providing that is labor + material). Now if this was a local contracter its an excellent price most of the time a contracter is much higher due to taxes, ins, etc. I will also say if this includes ceiling also (smooth not textured )get his ref. and go for it.

Not to mention if you accept his bid & another job paying more money comes up, they'll screw you in a minute.

It took 6 months to the day for one to build my garage, that's one with unfinished walls, ceiling & no electrical. Calling the ABC board changed his tune abit. I do not have high regards for contractors... :angry:

I went thru the same thing

with my kitchen tore the

whole thing out myself and rehung all new

drywall but didnt want to tape and mud

I ended up wrapping the walls in maple

to match the cabinets were ever there was drywall is now maple.

Jason,

I estimate construction work at Rutgers University. I also am a Master Carpenter and the quote you received is right there.($675.00 Plus 10%= $743.00 is what I came out with)

I would have no problem with either of the prices. They should knock it off in about 4 days tops.

Ask them for references and then pick whom you feel most confortable with.

Also keep in mind cheaper is not always better.

A good crew of (2) guys could hang all the rock in about 1 1/2- 2 days and (2) days for tape spackle (3) coats, finish sand and ready for primer and paint.

Pete03

I agree, sounds like a good price. Especially if you need to find someone who is going to mud drywall that he didn't hang himself. My kitchen is smaller, but I drywalled it in a day and spent about a week on the joints. Used crown moulding so I didn't have to do the upper corners, but the rest of the house had moulding anyway.

Then about the time I started on my dining room ceiling I had to have eye surgery and couldn't be around that much dust for a while. Cost me $300 for someone to finish just the ceiling.

I am not a professional but I have relatives who are and I worked construction in the summers when I was in college.

Thank you for everyone's input. It was very helpful. My wife and I decided we are going to have someone definitly do this project for us. We have a couple more people coming over to take a look and give estimates but I don't think I'll be finishing this project on my own. We also are going to get our taxes done first just to make sure everything is good. We had to pay the past 2 years so hopefully with some payroll changes and 401k changes and the purchase of a house everything should be good. Thanks again. I'll post some before and after pics when it's all finished.

Latest posts