Anyone got a Dana 44 for the front of my sport trac :)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to lift mt Sport Trac up to fit 38X13.5X16 tires. This is going to require ditching the front diff and axles for a solid axle setup. It has been done and I have some plans in place to accomplish the task but I can't find a front diff for the operation. Help.

A couple members on here are gonna be doing a SAS also, Chad has already done his. The linked site is geared more toward what you're looking for, I and a bunch of members from here are on that site as well Check out:

Last edited by a moderator:
They're pricey when you manage to find one, but I'd suggest a '76-'77 Ford Bronco front axle. It is a Dana 44 with the correct width and disc brakes. Older Bronco axles from about '69 to '75 (?) are Dana 44's but have drum brakes.

Or you can call up Currie, Pro Rock, or G2, and they'll build what you need for only $4000 or so. :grin:

If you want 38" tires you need a Dana 60. And Dana 44 and Dana 60 axles can be found all day long. Any fullsize Ford truck will have either a 44 or 60 under it.

You think a Dana 44 won't survive the 38" tires? I better look into that. $4000 is a bit steep LOL I would gladly pay that much but then I would be homeless and missing parts of my anatomy Hahaha

Is this going to be a daily driver? It sounds like it will be if $4k will make you homeless. Actually you will spend at least 4k for a SAS on the Sport Trac unless you have free parts coming to you. So you may want to reconsider your plan. Including new tires and rims, I spent well over $6k for my SAS. I also used top of the line parts, which you can skimp on, but I dont like the idea of hiking out of a 10-20 mile trail in the middle of nowhere.

And yes I dont think a Dana 44 will survive 38's. My buddy exploded chromoly shafts with his 37's.

I have since decided that I will go Dana 60 for a few reasons, strength and availability mainly. Probably going to try to throw a Dana 70 in the rear as well but probably after the 8.8 grenades. All good information on here so far. Be ready to spend some cash, especially if you get a shop to do the work. If doing it yourself, have cash and another daily driver available for a while. I won't be doing the solid axle until I have another vehicle besides the ST and '69 Cougar and add the ST to the garage of "fun vehicles."

Since there's only one person that I know of that has done a Sport Trac, Chad will have the most useful knowledge. You'll also want to spend a lot of time on the other ST forum and a lot of reading on pirate4x4 (just check your feelings at the door and maybe not mention doing this to a Sport Trac, lol).

Oh, but if you are looking for a Dana 44, my fiance's brother is removing his from his '07 JK Unlimited Rubicon to replace with a Dana 60. The fact that the D44 isn't strong enough for the lighter Jeep was all I needed to know about putting it under the weight of a Sport Trac. I probably won't ever wheel as hard as he does, but if I'm spending that kind of money, I'm going for bullet proof.

While Chad is the only one to have done a SAS on a Sport Trac, the Explorer Sport and newer Rangers share the same front frames/ suspensions drivetrains so check out SeriousExplorations.com because there's quite a few on there to research and learn from as well. I plan on doing either a longarm or a 3 link setup when I do the SAS on my '03 ST and have been studying/ researching as much as I can to build mine the way I want it the first time around while using top of the line parts like Chad did. Spend the money wisely once so you don't regret it later ( in the middle of nowhere ) like Chad said. :driving::eek:nline::banana:

For you guys planning on doing the SAS, I found a few items on Pirate that are for a Dana 44. There are some used high steer knuckles, axles, and lockers. This is where you can save some money, when someone either gives up their project or is upgrading to a bigger axle.

Well to start off I'd like to say I don't do any rock climbing at all. I am more into mud, snow and being able to go places with no roads. I live in Saskatchewan Canada ..... Google it we are flat for the most part but we do have some wild areas to explore. My ST is a daily driver in fact it gets 120KM on it every day. (75 Miles) I have logged almost 350 000Km on it so far. I am running the stock driveline with 32" tires right now. I was hoping to keep Rack N Pinion steering by upsizing to a F150 rack with a custom Fabricated steering shaft and carrier. There is a guy on this site who has BIG tires on his ST . . . Thrandur Arnthorsson at 4x4offroads.com who is running 38's and a Dana 44 Check it out!

http://www.4x4offroads.com/4x4-project.html

You cannot use a rack and pinion steering with a solid axle.

And I have seen the Iceland Trac before. And with 38" tires driving 75 miles/day you could probably watch your gas gauge drop as you drive.

Good Luck with your project.

LOL you are right about the rack and pinion I don't know what I was thinking!. I can watch my Trac's Gas guage move now on my way to work. I have a Fuel efficient car if need be for the daily commute. I'll let you know what is happening on the project as it unfolds. I really like the idea of Air springs just not sure how it would work when the terrain does get difficult. Thanks for the wish of luck hopefully it all works out.

I've been checking out that Icelandic ST. That's probably the setup I'm going for, except not 38s. In the past couple days, I've realized the increasing difficulty to do the 60 like I had hoped.

Installing a Dana 60 will not be any different than a Dana 44, other than it will be a full width axle. Where as you can find full width and narrow D44 axles. Worst case you will either have wheels that stick out past your fenders or you cut the axle tube down and narrow the axle and then get custom shafts made. This will be more work cuz you have to cut the "C" off and then weld them back on and make sure they are aligned correctly.

I dont understand what difference in difficulty is. Any axle you install is going to be difficult to say the least. And both will require alot of welding, cutting , and fabrication work.

At least with a Dana 60 there are a alot of different style of axle trusses made that will allow you to build a linked setup, or go the easier route and do a leaf spring setup.

...cut the axle tube down and narrow the axle and then get custom shafts made. This will be more work cuz you have to cut the "C" off and then weld them back on and make sure they are aligned correctly.

I just have been assuming that those issues would make it more difficult. I know it's going to be a lot of work either way. I really don't know anything first hand about doing this and have only learned what I can from the internet and helping my future brother in law with switching out the axles on his JK. There is a lot of good information online but a lot of bad information, too.

I definitely want to try to go with a linked setup the first time because I feel like I would do the leafs and then want to change it later. I'd rather not go at it twice.

I spent yesterday working on my first attempt at metal fabrication. I've got a long ways to go judging how long it took me to build some mounting brackets for my brush guard. A drill press and tube bender are being shipped, though. Could have really used a plasma cutter to cut through the 3/8" flat stock. I might try a skid plate next to work on my fabrication skills. I'm definitely not confident enough yet to do my own fabrication for the axle, though.

Latest posts