anyone have probs with fuel gauge?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel Jay

Reaction score
I was driving around the past few days, and have been sitting solidly on the 1/4 tank marker...went and filled up this afternoon and the marker didn't even budge. The weather is mild, ranging around -4 Celsius and +10, I thought it may have froze into place or something like that, I'm kind of baffeled...Not looking forward to taking it to the dealership....there goes a saturday afernoon :(

Any ideas?

***Just did a search...seems this is pretty common thing? I've never had this happen before, tried driving some more, turning on and off, etc, and nothing. This is an 04, so all under warranty, but still a pain!

How long have you driven around without it moving?

My fuel gauge does something similar, but of course, I'm not using a stock fuel tank either...

Joel,

I have an 04 as well and had a problem with my fuel gauge. Mine did the same thing, but sometimes at a full/3/4 tank the gauge would drop below empty. I went to Ford and they found an error code. After clearing the error code an replacing some part I haven't had a problem since.

Jason

Interesting,

I just noticed this yesterday as I was driving around, I had been sitting on a quarter tank without it budging...when I filled up, it came out costing an empty-full fill. Now its full, and still sitting at the 1/4 mark. Everything is stock on this sucker.

Joel, it's the fuel level sensor it's covered under warranty. Take it to the dealer and show them. They'll ask you to run it down as far as you can before the appt. Happened to my 04. no biggie :)

I started having fuel guage problems and the check engine light came on when the OE battery started to give it up. I installed a new Optime red-top and both returned to normal.

So after driving for about 30 mins or so...it finally bumped up to full, took the truck down some bumpy roads, seemed to work. I guess just to be safe I'll be watching my gauge and my odometer. Thanks for all the input guyz :)