Anyone Replace Engine Cradle Gasket?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDawn Houlahan

Reaction score
Hey all, long time no post. Been a traveling fool for work and spent the last two years building a Cobra replica. Now building a '68 Mustang with my son.

Anyway, the Trac is still going strong and believe it or not we've had the same rear bumper cover for almost two years! (long time members will know what I'm talking about):grin:

At 148K miles the truck is as strong as ever with no major problems. She's due for another round of front brakes and i'll be doing ball joints this time too, but our one issue is an oil leak. I thought it was just the oil pan gasket, but it appears that it might be coming from the engine block cradle (the aluminum reinforcement between the block and oil pan). I looked in the Ford service manual and it's a bunch of work to R&R. Has anyone replaced both the upper and lower oil pan gaskets, or removed the engine block cradle to access engine internals?

Thanks for any insight, and hopefully I can start catching up on here. It's been ages!:eek:nline:

Mark

what kind of intake should i get?

should i get an exhaust?

dingo, your the best !!

should i lift my trac?

todd, where are you?

Ask Caymen / Tom already people!!!

He'll have a PERFECT answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q out...

Bill, I think he is refering to the upper aluminum portion of the oil pan. It serves as a girdle to strengthen the lower portion of the block.

I suspect Ford had to use one 'cause of the 4" bore, on the 4.0L. Kind of a heavy slug. It probably cut down on the NVH, alot.

Yes, the actual term used in the Ford shop manual is "engine block cradle". It uses jack screws against the block and bolts to the main caps to act as a girdle of sorts. It has a gasket between it and the block like a traditional oil pan gasket, then there is a lower gasket with the thin stamped steel "oil pan"...

As for the replica, it is a Factory Five Mk 3 Roadster. Got it in '06 and finished it late '08. It has a 427 stroked 351 Windsor small-block, Tremec TKO-600 five-speed manual, and an 8.8 w/ 3.27 gears (any more and it would make first completely useless)...

Some pics:

d52fb48b4d5d48f2a3be6f8092216034.jpg

0201612625b0ad6579d0f846ab75c9ba.jpg

eb4e465d6cc2e52ab00b280de81f022a.jpg

933ede6c350e630772e37276b0b4880c.jpg

And here's the concept drawing for the '68 we're building now. It's going to have a complete 2006 Mustang GT drivetrain, coilover suspension, '05 Mustang door handles, '08 Mustang GT seats, Shelby and custom fiberglass, and flush fitting glass.

2c4ab7fc0dae206ad18e066b7011fc8a.jpg

4ad10056e66f4d0bae069f1fd7c25f7e.jpg

adbb588c6f3d8b5a237dab2df3069f16.jpg

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
And here's the concept drawing for the '68 we're building now. It's going to have a complete 2006 Mustang GT drivetrain, coilover suspension, '05 Mustang door handles, '08 Mustang GT seats, Shelby and custom fiberglass, and flush fitting glass.

Mark, who are you? Chip Foose?:banana::supercool:

Mark, I'm having the same problem, I think. I'm just not sure if it's the gasket or the front main seal. I'm leaning towards the seal though. I do a lot of my own work, but I think this one is out of my league. I hope someone can give us some help.

Hey Doug, good to hear from you! I'm thinking it could be the front seal as well and just blowing it all back on the pan and exhaust. The truck has been great and this is the first leak. I want to tackle it before it gets worse. According to the shop manual even the front seal takes special tools, but I'm wondering if that is for "in-car" with the crank snout sticking out.

The oil is all over the rack and trans cooler up front, which is right beneath the crank damper. I'll have to get some pics...

Mark

The oil is all over the rack and trans cooler up front, which is right beneath the crank damper.

Exactly the same with mine. There's even a little that gets slung up to the bottom of the water pump. I'm not looking forward to paying for this repair bill.