Anyone running a locker?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a locker for the ol' ST so I'm not so helpless in snow/mud/stuff. Anyone running one on theres?

I know Bill Barber has the powertrax and loves it....

There is a cheaper ausi locker that is supposed to be great too....

The only thing about the posi in the snow, is now if both tires spin the rear of the truck will kick sideways....

Todd Z

Yes it is.....

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/10452/Burnout%20006.wmv

Todd Z

The Aussie locker is highly recommended by alot of the explorerforum guys. I heard back from Aussie about two weeks ago and they don't have a locker designed as a replacement for the ford 8.8 with factory L/S option (as the carriers are different) :(. This is a bummer. With that said I'm leaning toward the Powertrax for simplicity and easy of DIY.

Becker - Thanks for that tid-bit ... been waiting for the Aussie Locker to get n stock for the past 2 months, and have heard alot of good comments about it, and can't wait to get it put in. This is about the only time i'm glad that I have an open diff ...

math-you; yeah... I'm jealous that I don't have an open diff!! Hopefully you're planning on DIY... their website has a good link to the directions on a jeep. I wheeled with a guy who LOVED his Aussie locker he had in the rear of his Ex (he had a 1st gen explorer 4 door; with the same 8.8 in the rear). He never had concerns over it engaging and was always impressed that it lacked the ratchety sound that automatic lockers tend to have when going around turns. His was close to silent. Good luck and enjoy it... you can't beat the bargain! :)

becker, I bet someone local by you would be willing to do a trade......

Todd Z

Becker. Go to a junkyard and pull just the carrier out of something with an open diff. cant see them charging you more than 20 bucks for just the carrier and the pin without any gears in it.

This is the first time I've heard of Aussie lockers.

How do they compare with Powertrax in street applications? They're certainly more affordable - $240 compared to $450 for a Powertrax.

Eric - Powertrax has 2 versions - the 'Lock-right' and a hybrid that is more for the street. The Aussie, which is a newer company, is more similar to the Lock0right according to the engineers at Aussie Lockers. The lock-right is about $310 right now at Summit Racing, with the other being in the $450 range. Still gonna wait for the Aussie tho ....

Checked on some other sites for Jeeps and other off-roaders (independant of what the Assuie web site gives) and they have nothing but praise for the Aussie ...

Last edited by a moderator:
true, about the carrier idea... but I'm not the most technically adept. Installing a lunchbox locker is about my limit... but carrier, spider gears, etc..... I need to learn and research more.

I wouldn't even think of swapping out my rear (save for the gain of rear disc brakes) just to get an open carrier. I'll just spend more $ and get the Powertrax eventually.

Thanks, Math-you. I knew about the different Powertrax systems, which is why I'm quoting the price for the street version. That's the one I was planning to get, but the Aussie web site makes their locker sound like it would work just fine on the street.

Has anyone heard any testimonials from actual customers about the Aussie on the street? The Powertrax street model was designed to be quieter and smoother than their own locker, but the Aussie folks claim theirs is the quietest locker on the market.

Just trying to decide on which one I should get. I'm not planning on doing any off-road driving. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Aussie.

I wonder if you could pull the rear axle out of a Mustang and get disc brakes and the open diff (which you would then install the locker in)?

Jeff your the one that works at the auto parts store adn can cross reference part numbers..... what are you waiting for?!?

But im pretty sure that you can. Even a ranger with the disc brakes. It seems like any 8.8 you can use the brackets and calipers and diff from, in any other 8.8.

But as far as the topic goes.... I think im going to go the aussie route. for the price and it sounds like everyone that has it loves it.

Last edited by a moderator: