Anyone Tried This????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
I was just cruising ole ebay when I came across this... Seeing as how I now have a K&N and one of Toddz's Throttle Bodies this just seemed like somethin a lil extra. Thing I like is they say they will refund my purchase it no diffrence is made. I am think about testing it out. Let me know if anyone has tried this before I go about doing this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HP-MPG-F-150-F-250-F-350-Explorer-Sport-Trac-w-v8_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42604QQihZ014QQitemZ330089035278QQrdZ1

The original idea for these came from diesel engines, and date back quite a while. The earliest i've seen one would be on a 70's John Deere backhoe. Then someone got the idea of putting it on a gas engine. While the theory behind the device seems to have a potential for power, if you were going to get one, you should find one like the tornado on which the blades extend all the way to the center. The theory is that you create a vortex which smooths out the air, makes it turn corners in your intake easier, and break it up, causing better atomization of fuel. If it were me, i would save myself the 70 bucks and use it for something better. If you simply must have one of these, make one out of thin sheet metal, you will get the same effect.

Looks like another version of the Tornado. Funny thing is I see the Tornado sold in most all the major auto parts stores. Either someone's been sold down the river or it actually works. No wait a minute, advertising has brainwashed us into thinking it actually works. :(

The theory is that you create a vortex which smooths out the air, makes it turn corners in your intake easier, and break it up, causing better atomization of fuel.

If you polish your intake you get smoother airflow too.

The ultimate proof if an item works or not is on a dyno.

Magazines have dyno tested them many times and in many cases, those gadgets actually lost power.

How can creating a "vortex" help air flow around corners smoother, when you have a throttle body pinch off the airflow?

Answer? It doesn't work on a gasoline engine.

Tom

Those things have been prooven not to work, by so many reputible testors. I would think the government could get them off the market for fraud.

Funny if you read the whole write up, it sounds like the seller is trying to convince himself...:lol:

Only reason I even considered the thing was to try to muffle the whistle that has arisen due to my K&N. It's a desperation thing. But I have decided to try and find another way to do this.

In a modern EFI engine the intake manifold runners tune the air anyway, so anything done to the airflow pattern ahead of it won't make any difference other than to increase restriction.

I did hook a leaf blower up to my throttle body to supercharge it and ran 11's but the windshield washer bottle doesn't hold very much 2-stroke mix, so I gave up on the idea. Hard to see around the half-open hood anyway and it kept flying open, I dunno.... :lol: