anyone with kids: Carseat question in sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Alright, I'm about to purchase in the next 2 or so weeks a 2005/2006/2007 sport trac, and can't find an answer to my question online on any website. Does the sport tracs allow for 3 car seats in back or just two? In our ford escape, there are attachment points for 3 car seats, allowing one to be in the middle. What about the sport track, can you put a car seat in the middle? Has anybody done this? Thanks!

--Bob

The owner's manual for my 2004 doesn't recommend putting a car seat in the middle, even though there's an anchor attachment behind the seat. I think that the rear seat might be a little crowded with three car seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - do you mean you have the top attachment point in the center? I know it has the two side points near the seat belts.... Thanks!

--Bob

We have an 05 Trac, with an Evenflo Triumph 5 car seat in the middle. If anyone rides on either side of the car seat it's a pretty tight fit. The Evenflo is a wide seat though. I don't think 3 car seats would fit very well but it would also depend on the brand.

We also have a Britax Parkway booster that fits very nicely in the middle of the Trac. Our daughter is in the "not quite ready for a booster but too big for the baby seat" stage.

I have looked at an 07 Trac and that back seat appears to be a lot larger, and more leg room too.

I agree with Kelly. I've got 2 carseats in my 2005 ST: a booster seat on the passenger side, and an "in between" seat like Kelly described behind the driver. There are 3 anchor points, but it would be pretty tight. When you've got a booster seat, you need room to actually attach/detach a seat belt all the time. I'd hate to do that with 3 seats back there; it would be REALLY tight and my independant 6 year old would be constantly upset because he has to do it himself.:rolleyes:

Well we are catholic, but don't have 3 (yet). I'm thinking though of how to carry the 2 kids in car seats and the 60 lb german shepherd. Since it has a 60/40 folding seat, could I get both car seats in on the 60 side, fold the 40 side down and have a flat spot for the dog? Otherwise, she'd have to be on the very tight floor. Anybody else encounter this issue?

I would put the dog in the bed of the truck. Leaves plenty of room for the humans in the front and it keeps the inside of the truck cleaner too.

I forgot to mention that is what we do, as long as the weather is nice. Open hard tonneau, flip out bed extender on tailgate, and the large dog crate just fits. Just have to lift 75 lbs up into crate. UGH!

If you have the dog riding in the cab of the truck, you should put him in a car seat harness. Why have a dog traveling any less safe than your kids in the booster seats? My dogs don't ever go without being secured with a seat belt and their car seat harnesses. Here's an example:

I've had an infant seat in the middle and on a side, but not at the same time. I do know that with the seat in and two adults in back, it's a tight fit.

My 7 year old doesn't need the booster anymore, the 3 month old in a Graco Snugfit and mommy in the middle since they want the company back there. The 73 lb mutt sits in the bed with half the tonneau open when its dry but next to me in the front on towels in a harness when it rains.

heres a pic of our 3 seats across the back seat of the trac, closest in the pic is for 2yr old, middle is for 5 yr old, and farthest shows the base for 5 mth olds seat/carrier.

[Broken External Image]: