Are CD changers obselete?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biznaga

Reaction score
With the ability to make MP3 music discs it seems to me that a 6 disc CD changer is no longer needed. Good grief, 10-12 hours on one CD is quite enough, for me anyway.

Any comments?

Funny you should say that. I listened to a CD full of MP3s in my trac for the first time today at lunch in like 2 months. Ever since I installed the XM receiver, ever CDs have pretty much become obsolete.

I converted to mp3's years ago. No turning back now. MP3 in both wifes car and my ST (took the 6 disc out and sold it). 1 disc of mp3 is fine for me considering 7-10 full discs will fit depending on encoding quality.

I listened to an mp3 disc on a 10 hour flight with no repeats.

C

I think CD changers are obsolete and DVD changers are on the way out. I use my Ipod, no need for cd's because everything I own is there.

DVD's are another story, but a carputer with DVD's ripped to the hard drive would kill them. Can you rip DVD's to an Ipod? That might kill the DVD changer, except for nav systems. Given the Ipod is only 60Gb, but you could store a few movies for a long trip. I have a very modest DVD library, so I could store all of my entertainment on a 60 gig Ipod.

Tower Records says they buy used cd's, i wonder what they will say when I walk in with about 350!

I can't wait to get my XM NavTraffic receiver from Pioneer.

The only thing I see as a problem is most Americans still can't program a VCR, let alone figure out how to use a computer to burn MP3's to a CD-R.

Hope it remains that way, gives a IT guy like me plenty of job opportunities :)

Changers are way obsolete. MP3 is a feature of almost all of todays new head units. The DVD playing head units (with and without screen) make a DVDr filled with 5+gigs of MP3's a fantastic option. (much cheaper to lose a $1.00 DVDr, then have your iPOD lost or stolen) But 30 & 60gig iPODs are an awesome choice as well.

Pulling a cartridge and/or loading & unloading 6 CD's worth of music in your car though should be a thing of the past!

I'm pretty much a free radio / mp3 / wma sort of guy. I have an RCA-MINI cable plugged into my HU so that I can pretty much play anything with a headphone jack through my car stereo. I plug my Zen Micro into it, and can pretty much listen to that for hours.

However, if I want to listen to really high quality music, and play it loud, I will create an audio CD using WMA lossless ripping for CD quality, or the original CD.

There is a clarity lost in mp3 and regular wma that audiophiles will understand. I've even heard something is lost in satellite radio.

But I don't really need a changer, just a single slot is fine.

Changers where outdated the day they came out for sale... Im an avid car audio enthusiast, and I have never owned one, and never will ;)

You guys are wacked. mp3 rules no matter how you look at it.

Scott Simon; you can record LP's or tapes as much as you want to, no restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can record all that you want, but not if you benefit financially by selling any portion of that product without paying the owner of the publishing rights..

Ripping to my Ipod and then selling the original disc is a violation of copyright law, period end of story.

Of course, most of the Limewire and Kazaa users who download copyrighted material have already decided it is okay to steal. Except for the ones who "only download to see if I like the album and then go buy it. Yeah, right.

I like having 6 MP3 disks in my in-dash changer. Arre there any flash memory based MP3 head units yet? Or head units that can accept compact flash or any of the other flash memory cards?

Hey Dale, I do download music to see if I like it. But, I have no problems buying the CD to support an artist that I like. All of the CD's that I have bought in the past 5 years, I downloaded first. It's a useful tool to winnow out all of the junk that music industry manufactures nowadays.

Todd C.

Arre there any flash memory based MP3 head units yet? Or head units that can accept compact flash or any of the other flash memory cards?

Yes, I know my girlfriends brother has a JVC deck that takes compact flash cards.