Are shocks the same for 4wd & 2wd?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
I was having a heck of a time finding extended shocks for my lifted ST but did find a set made by superlift for a 4" lift---Think they'll work?

According to www.Monroe.com the fronts are different and the backs are the same.

But according to www.gorancho.com They are the same 2wd and 4wd...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
i just had newe monroes put on my 2wd at sears, and they shipped the 4wd shock for the front, and they wouldn't fit. they had to have someone go to the warehouse and get the correct shocks.. supposedly their computer database was wrong..., so, based of that, i would say they are different..

Same shocks. That is a fact.

When I got my Trac, I took the OE shocks off, but ket them. When my brother got his 1999 Explorer 4x4, I gave him my OE shocks. They fit like a glove. When the Edelbrock shocks wore out, I sent them back for replacements. When we got them back, we put them on my bropthers 4x4 Explorer. Again, they fit like a glove.

My Trac is a 4x2.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
The fitment may be the same, BUT if monroe uses different valving for the 2wd and 4wd then they are different... I would not put their 2wd shocks in my 4wd...

Todd Z

Todd is correct,

I just had Monroe Reflex shocks installed on my 2003 Sport Trac yesterday. The Monroe catalog listed different front shock numbers between the 4X4, and the 4X2 that I have.

The part numbers for my 4X2 are:

Front: 911177

Rear: 911035

I asked why there was a difference and he indicated that 4X4's use different valving than the 4X2 even if they have identical mountings.

...Rich

Latest posts