Are the 07 and up ST axles and suspensions different from the 01"s

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a blown 01 and looking for another around 07. I loved the suspenssion and set up of the old ST. I keep seeing the 07's as all independent. Has anything changed along the axle and suspension line? if so what has changes since 01?

it looks like the hauling capasity on the 4.0 is down also. is that true? Im trying to catch back up to speed before I look and buy. Thanks guys

All the Gen 2 Sport trac's are independent rear axles, More like the explorers are. Struts in the front as well. No more torsion bars or leaf springs

There are absolutely no similiarities between the 1st gen and the 2nd gen when it comes to suspension, or anything else for that matter.

The 1st gens were built on a Ranger Supercab frame. The 2nd gens were on a lengthened Explorer frame. The 1st gens are easier to modify for off-road use, lift kits, etc. The 2nd gens are a bit larger and have better ride and handling, IMO. But suspension mods are more difficult because of the IRS. The 2nd gens were also available with a V8 and can be equipped to tow more than the 1st gen. Depends what you need...

If the towing/hauling capacity is down it's probably only because the truck itself weighs more and the 4.0 is the same. I've owned both. The Gen 2 is longer, with most of the extra room in the rear seat. Ride and handling is so much better than a Gen 1 that is isn't even funny. No more swapping OE shocks the day after you buy it. I have 99,500 miles on mine with the original struts and they are still perfectly fine. This is good because they are pricey when you do replace them. The bed in a Gen 2 is slippery for whatever reason so I got a rubber bed mat for mine so I don't fall down and break my neck. I wouldn't bother with a V8 unless you tow a trailer. The V6 is more trouble-free, the V8 tends to break spark plugs and exhaust manifolds. Gen 2's have a drain plug on the rear diff so it's easy enough to change the lube yourself if you remove the spare tire. Front axle still has to be done at the Qwicky Lube, just had mine done again last week. Downside, a Gen 2 is not as off-roady or liftable and has traction control instead of a limited-slip. A Class II hitch is standard on a Gen 2 while Gen 1's just have a Class II bumper ball. It's good for 3500 lb, if you're going to tow larger stuff then look for a Gen 2 with the optional Class III hitch that comes with a 7 pin connector and brake hookup.

The only thing similar between the two other than the name is the inability to rent a trailer from U-Haul because simply putting the name "Explorer" on the vehicle will cause it to immediately barrel roll down the highway at anything over 1mph.

Latest posts