ARGH!!!... now I am ticked ( ford better step UP their QUALITY !!! )

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
ARGH!!!.. You know I haven't driven my st much this year, about 6K miles since last winter... Drove it for 3 days straight after ford replaced my brakes a THIRD time under warranty, GUESS WHAT, Now I noticed the steering wheel is starting to peel AGAIN, last one replaced at about 20K, ( 37 on the truck) My radio bezel has just started to peal around the BACK WINDOW switch, it is like rubber pealing off, and the DAM brakes give an ever so slight steering wheel shake now..

You know IF ford keeps this kind of quality on the new st, F that, I just may change my vehicle preference...

This is total horse SH&*:angry:

Todd Z

I hear you. Every item you mentioned was replaced on my Trac by Ford for free. In fact, on my 01 we were on our way to court when they agreed to put experimental brakes on mine as well as additional agreements.

Those brakes are now what is on the 04 and newer.

I like the Trac, I have a bigger issue with the service though. That is the main reason I sold my second Trac and bought my Lexus SUV. I was in the dealership buying my third Trac when I found out I could not get a slider window and no Limited Slip rear end. I said thanks.... and walked out...

That's what worries me about the new ST. I mean this is a cheaply built vehicle. I paid 19,500 for my 02 new and it was not worth a penney more. I really feel sorry for those that bought all kinds of extra options and paid a lot more for what was still a cheaply built vehicle. Mind you, I'm not complaining. I think it was worth what I paid for it but if they are going to increase the price of it then they better increase the quality.

I would take the peeling parts as an oppurtunity to customize your trac, turn a negative into a positive and paint it yourself. I did. and as far as the steering wheel goes, get a cover or s grant styling ring. Lately all I hear on here is bitching about the ST. No offence, but if everyone is hating there ST so much then please SELL IT. I love mine, and take any problems in stride and if they can't improve on it then I will.

I look forward to driving my ST for a very long time, and would like to think that in the future I might get the new ST with the V8. I will probably wait until 08 or so though. I just dont have a reason to get rid of mine yet.

Dallas

Todd, reading you talking like that is like hearing God swear!!:lol:

Really though, my radio bezel has been pealing and I have a steering wheel cover over mine so it hasn't been to roughed up on that end. Other than that I think it boils down to "Quality of Service". Any vehicle out there has it's good points and it bad. I know you know this. I have an aftermarket warrenty that I got when I bought my ST that isn't directly from Ford (it's from Fidelity) and my local dealership tells me that if I bring it in to them I have to pay them and then deal with my Coverer to get my money back. They don't even want to try to work with them on it. They want me to have to deal with them, even when they are sopposed to be one of the better ones that use a credit number to pay for the work done. i haven't even had to use it yet but I will here for some minor stuff that is covered. Just have to find the time.;)

TZ I understand your frustration. I sold an '02 Chevy Blazer to buy my ST in Sept. '05 and the only problem I had with the blazer was adjusting the parking brake, that's it. Promised the wife this would be my last vehicle purchase for sometime (4 in 3 years)! The ST has been to the dealers for repair 5 or 6 times just for an ABS issue! Fortunately it's still under warranty!! But I LOVE this vehicle, it fits me perfectly, I can haul around the little ones in comfort, as well as work and play with it. It's just so versatile! Most everything like it are p/u's that want to be ST's, or copycats but she's the original!

Thanks to folks like you contributing to this site regularly, I know where to come for answers to any problems I may experience. Hope you can get those things worked out!

D-

Todd's one of the biggest aficionados around here so I'm pretty sure when he's "b*tching", it's a legitimate gripe. And it is; repeat problems with the brakes and peeling steering wheel, and peeling bezel? It shouldn't be so! Turning a blind eye by just covering up problems with custom paint or steering wheel cover (or selling the Trac) shouldn't be the answer!

Just ticked. I never would sell the truck I just will modify or add my own parts and then I will know I will not have an issue with it...

Just cant stand to see all the hype about the new St ( v8 is most of the hype) and feel that it will be the same quality... Then jack the price to the customer... I don't think so. I will just drive my st until it is no more and think a lot about replacing it with another ST... The funny thing is i did not have any issues like this with my mustang, my BroncoII's, or my 75 mustang... I just wounder if they cheated quality to make a huge amount of money, sucker people in, then change the truck....

Todd Z

Of course they did Todd. Unfortunately it's the "American Way". Especially with auto manufacturers. GM and Ford had thought that Toyota, Nissan, etc. could not come up with better looking cars and trucks than they could and "Americans" will always buy American, so they could skimp here and there on quality and not have anything to worry about. NOW, "Americans" have showed that they want QUALITY by buying Foreign autos and now the two "BIG" US car companies are paying for it. Maybe they will pull their haeds out for some fresh air and realize that we don't need completely redesigned vehicles. They need redesigned vehicles made BETTER.

That said I still love my ST and look to run it into the ground before getting a new vehicle. Hope I didn't jinks myself with that.;)

Now I feel guilty. My 01 ST has been perfect except for a turn signal that turned the wipers on sometimes which was replaced under warranty. I have done nothing up to 60K except oil/filter and air filter changes.

I would never sell mine either. It's the perfect truck for me but anyone who would pay 25-30K for a Trac is out of their mind. As is, it's a sub 20K vehicle and thats it. Especially comparing it to vehicles in the 25-30K range. Even Ford vehicles. My wife's 97 Expedition has over 120,000 miles on it. I never had trouble with the brakes, paint peeling, or the transmission and it still has the original shocks. It was built solid and well worth the 25K I paid for it. If I had paid that much for the Trac, I would have felt ripped off, but since I paid under 20K then I'm happy with it. Unless they have vastly improved the 07 Tracs then they are not worth the 25K+ that I have heard they are going for.

Tom T i feel the same way i have had my trac 2001 job2 4x4 for about 2 years now and i have dome all maintenance oil and tranny flush and i have replaced my front ball joints but for the $14000 i paid for it with 40000 miles worth it i now have 72000 miles and some of them were rough as for my wifes expy 2001 no problems 85000 miles replaced oil trany fluid and tires. i guess i an lucky so far

... anyone who would pay 25-30K for a Trac is out of their mind.

Me = :wacko:

Sure, it would've been great if I got mine at $20K, but for less than $28K using X-plan I'm still very happy. For that price there was no vehicle out there that could fulfill my needs and wants other than the Trac. Even now, the only runner-up would be the new Tacoma IMO.

As for the quality, I too wish it could be better. At 25K miles I've had or am having my share of nit-picks. If the overall design and quality of materials wasn't as good as it is on the Trac, I'd have lots of regrets. As it is, I have none...well, sometimes I do think maybe I should've gotten Silver Birch or Estate Green. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd I defintely know what you mean!

My steering wheel is getting worse and worse and I just noticed the other day that my bezel is peeling too. I was sitting there at a light and thought something was on it and started to rub. Now I have a section of no paint on the middle bar between the radio and hvac controls! My 36k warranty is expired but I have the extended. Does anyone know if I can get multiple items repaired at the same time and just pay the 1 deductable or is the deductable per item?

George

'02 with 65k, 3 sets of brakes, slight peeling around bezel. Haven't noticed anything on the steering wheel. Probably shouldn't look. Overall, I like my ST, but these are some of the small reasons why I'm looking forward to what the '07 may have to offer. Actually, the brakes are probably a medium sized issue with me. Functionally, the ST gets an A+, mechanically, well, it's pretty dated... and the Ford interiors seem to have come a long ways in the last two years or so.

My '01 was like Eldon's. Once to the dealer for warranty replacement of sliding rear window switch, that was IT!! I drove it for 78,000 TROUBLE FREE miles!! The more I hear about the ST problems a lot of folks are having, man, this is making me nervous about the '07.......

I feel that dealer service is the big issue here. If the service dept. would just fix what needs to be fixed correctly the first time would go a long way for Ford to have better customer retention. Just as an example: I got new door handles ('01 job 2) from Rusty because the service dept. would not replace them under warrenty; they are not expensive, but it is the principle.

Latest posts