Asking for comments on 2004 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Banks

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a 2004 Sport Trac for $19,980.00. It's at a Ford Dealership and is certified by Ford for a 6yr./75,000 mile warranty. It has 47K miles on it. It has all the options but the moon roof.

I'm asking for comments from other owners of this 2004 model or people with insight into the Ford 6 yr./75,000 Certified program. Please let me know the good and the bad.

I have an '04 XLT Premium. The price seems high for a vehicle with that many miles.

I would check the tires for uneven wear. Also if it is a 4WD I would check to see if it will engage in 4WD. There have been issues. Additionally, pay close attention to the shift between 2nd and 3rd gears. If the shift hesitates, then there may be a issue with the transmission (rather common problem -- it happened to me). If you have a chance to drive over some rough pavement or railroad tracks, pay attention to whether the rear-end hops. The original shocks were very weak on this model.

As far as that warranty, be clear on whether that mileage is on top of the 47,000 already on it. If it isn't, then you are only getting a 4 yr/28,000 mile warranty.

I also have a 04 XLT Premium purchased new and now have 35,600 miles on it. The only issue I had so far is had to have the front pinion seal and left front axle seal replaced. This was done under warranty. I noticed fluid on the front differential. You might want to check under the vehicle for any signs of leaks. Also installed a K&N intake. This really improved throttle response. I have not had any problems with the transmission or 4WD. I really like My Sport Trac, it's the right vehicle for me.

I love my 04 posh trac :)

I've had nothing major wrong with mine.

price wise that's kinda high, however if it was well maintained and

the warranty is there.... and you like it .go for it. I think the 07's are

going for around 25 to 30...

dont buy unless you are a mechanic.. you will need new ball joints every 12,000 and new tires too - Ford will weasel out of any warranty repair.... my mpg dropped from 18 on my 2002 ST to below 14 for my new 2004 when I bought it 18 months ago. that vehicle is worth $14,000 at best...other reported problems here are transmissions.... dont use goodyear tires too - they will cup as soon as you drive out the lot....

nhsailmaker, I do realize you have had some bad experiences with Ford. That said, most of us have not. Are there some issues with the Sport Trac, yes, there are.

I'll address your specific complaints.

Ball Joints, owned two Tracs. One for 62,000 miles the other for 77,000 miles. Never replaced ANY ball joints.

Tires, rotated my Goodyear's every other oil change. I ran 5w30 Synthetic oil and changed it ever 6000 to 7000 miles. The good years lated until 61,000 miles on one Trac and 58,000 on the other.

Transmission, never had any light or any issue with either of my Trannys.

MPG, mine was an increase of 1mpg when I bought the 03. I would suggest you had some sort of an issue that was never discovered or repaired properly.

(On a side note, when I ran this thru Spell Checker your name came back to be corrected to Noisemaker. Now that is some good humor there)... LOL

I have an 04, XLT Prm, 2WD, 4.10LS, 28K miles, bought new. I've taken the Trac for service on the following:

1. Tranny additive recall

- "corrective" fluid added

2. Steering vibration when at a stop

- lines bled in case of air, fixed leak at pump

3. Rear differential leak

- refilled and resealed

4. Intermittent clunk from "axle-wrap"

- regreased affected area

5. Weather strip warped on driver's side

- replaced

6. Transmission slipping @ 18K miles

- solenoid repaired/replaced, tranny flushed

7. Transmission slipping again now @ 28K miles

- waiting for rebuilt tranny

It's a long list but the only issue I have a grudge on is the tranny. I have read that the 04s are susceptible even though it already has the improved valve body. Plus Ford put the wrong fluid in the tranny at the factory (at least that's what they claim). Some 04s are running perfectly, so I just got lucky.

I still think the Trac is great due to its size, versatility, decent power, and appearance. Just keep your eye on the tranny. Get some!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '01 just turned 109k. The ball joints, wheel bearings, etc were all good until about 95k... Theres no way you'll need them within every 12,000 miles. My ball joints and wheel bearings lasted over 90k WITH NY winters and very salted roads..in fact, the only reason i really changed them is because my abs sensors were worn out, and i was sick of my abs light being on lol...I've had some minor issues- broken torsion bar, 4wd module, 4wd harness burned out, tranny slipping-the wrong fluid was put in at 87k, and that was what caused the slipping-now it shifts fine, shocks were also fine until about 75k... Most of the stuff on the 6 year/75k warranty isnt even going to effect you i wouldnt think. thats how ford makes their money...But as mentioned before check for the 2-3 tranny flair up, and the tires. My trac came with general tires, so i didnt have a problem with the goodyears as most members here do. Now i run bfgoodrich all terrains and after 9k miles, they still have the yellow markings from the factory on the tread. My newst problem is the alignment-iwill need a camber kit installed, which should be next week.. I do also think $19,000 is a little steep, but remember its a dealership(stealership) someone probably traded that in and got $15,000ish, and they raised it to 19...i was looking at an "03 with 21k miles and that was only $20,500.

Good luck,

Andy

I have a 04 Premium XLT bought new...it was a good year. No problems with mine but then I only have 19k miles on it. All options OTD for $24.5 /x plan.

$19k seems steep. I'd buy new before I'd bite on that one.

I have an '04 xlt I got new. I have 24k miles now. I had uneven tire wear on my front left tire (loose wheel bearing) and that was it. Love my Trac!:wub::wub:

If you really want the truck, offer them less and make them throw in a tranny flush and new shocks or even have them put new bearings in the front - even if it don't need it! It may sound crazy but if these are concerns then have them do it. If they want the sale it is cheaper for the sales dept to pay for work then it is for you! Chris