At 30000 miles, front shocks are gone! Was thinking of Rancho's

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I was at the dealer today for a suspension issue. The stock shocks are gone on the fronts. The service guys doesn't want to sell me on putting the stocks back on. He recommended Ranchos. What should I do with?

I have Monroe Reflex. I am happy with them.

FWIW, the OE shocks were gone the minute they pulled them out of the box to instaall them on the Trac.

Tom

I just installed the Monroe gas-matic plus shocks and WOW what a differance! The best part was they were less than a 100.00 bucks.

Mike 0

I have to agree with everyone else, they were shot from the start. I went about 17000 miles before I replaced mine with Monroe Reflex. What a huge difference it made.

It was to the point where driving through construction areas was risky due to the bouncing. The new shocks took care of that and the Trac feels much more stable.

I bought my shocks through Rock Auto for $176 (all four) delivered to the front door. Complete install, less than 2 hours with one minor scrape.

You really should go with the Rancho's RSX or one of the other brands that members have used, I have 4 stock shocks with 7k miles of use you can have cheap, if you want to save some cash for awhile. Gary D. in CT

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it's been posted that it will not. I changed the shocks, sway bar, added Roadmaster A. S., Y pipe, been told it will not void warrenty. Gary

Big Al,

As others have stated, the shocks on the Sport Trac are probably not shot, just very poor quality. However they should be warrantied for 12 months or 12K miles? If the Ford dealer agrees that they are actually bad they should replace them under warranty and then you can determine if the replacements are any better.

If you want the upgraded shocks, ask the dealer if you buy they, will they install them for free. Since they would have have to warranty the labor to replace the original shocks. If they agree, watch that they don't add the labor charges to the price of the shocks. Otherwise you can buy the shocks and have them installed cheaper else where.

As for the warranty. The only thing that will be lost is the warranty on the shocks since they where replaced with aftermarket shocks.

If y0ou don't have the cash now, let the dealer replace the bad shocks with the OEM's under warranty, and start saving your money for some good replacements in the next few months.

...Rich

I had a complete set of shocks replaced under warranty on my '98 Mazda B-4000 at 50,000 miles (it had the 60,000 mile factory bumper-to-bumper warranty). Parts and labor were all covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

They are a warrenty part. I'm close friends with the advisor and he upgraded the shocks on his Ranger. I got a price on Monroe Reflex's $250 installed including tax. I really don't know what to do at this point. I was going to upgrade after warrenty was up. Im at 30400 now. Other than a really ruff ride, I might take the weekend to think about it and make a decision on monday.

I put ProComp 3000s on myself. It is a pretty simple install, even for a novice like me, and it will only set you back around $120 total. :)

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts