Attn: CHRIS PETERSEN, Low pressure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Chris, I checked.

First of all, the tire shop is in violation of Federal law by not installing the sensors...

IT is a mandatory 2007 motor vehicle law...

There IS no way to turn it off.... ( for now)

The ford system will not let you put all 4 sensors in the spare tire either....

AND believe it or not, they are trying to pass legislation that if one sensor is bad or missing the system will NOT allow the vehicle to go into gear and be driven....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Todd for checking into this.

I guess I will have to see if I can get the band cheaper than FORD.

Thanks again!!!!:):):)

Wouldn't that just make your day, the sensor goes bad and says the psi is low but a quick walk around the vehicle and they're all nice and round. I would not be happy. I've never understood having a sensor for something you can easily feel when driving or see if you get out and look. Now if it provided me a digital readout of the exact psi on each tire I would like it.

First of all, the tire shop is in violation of Federal law by not installing the sensors...

IT is a mandatory 2007 motor vehicle law...

Todd, are you sure about that? My understanding is that it is a phase in, and 2008 models are the deadline.

Also, the rules specify manufacture. I can find no reference to aftermarket or customer responsibility for maintenance of the system once it leaves the factory.

Rich, Yes 2008 is the deadline, your correct, BUT every shop, tech, person I spoke to in the past week in the industry said the same thing, The system must be in tact by law. There is no way (as of right now ) to turn it off....

Here is something I just found... Good reading..

http://www.tireindustry.org/government/tpms_comments.asp

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd, I read the executive summary of the "Final Rule" document as well as skimmed various areas of response to public commentary by NHTSA. It carries no downstream obligation to consumers or aftermarket service providers.

I looked up the law that gives the Dept. of Transportation it's authority to make such rules, and the law (Title 49, Chapter 301 of the U.S. code) clearly states that the rules only apply to the initial sale of the motor vehicle (or initial importation if foreign made). The NHTSA Final Rule document for the tire pressure sensing system follows this structure.

I don't doubt that some states will inevitably adopt into their inspection laws, if the system's yellow indicator light shows the system is not functioning, you'll fail the inspection.

I don't think Chris has violated any laws. NHTSA cannot make a law, per se, that would legally jeopardize an individual citizen (other than those involved in the manufacture and sale of new cars). That's something only the Congress can do. All NHTSA can do is extend the rules covering the initial sale, which are basically rules the manufacturer must follow.

Rich,

Very well put. I don't believe that I broke any laws either. The NHSTA will not make laws!

Thank you for your imput.:eek:

I said the shop is is violation,maybe that that was a little strong, but I know many shops are being told by there owners, companies, things like that they are in violation if they don't comply.

Maybe it is just a sales tactic to get the customer to pay more for the install and cover the companies butt........

Todd Z

Todd, I did some further reading, and it's a bit grayer than I thought last night.

There is a provision in the code that says repair shops cannot knowingly make safety devices inoperative. But, "make inoperative" is not defined, and the code says that the Secretary of Transportation is entitled to define the term. Replacement with a non-compliant part may, or may not, be considered making the TPMS inoperative. It's definitely gray, which explains why the TPMS Final Rule doesn't clearly address the issue.

Chris, you are in the clear. The rule doesn't apply to you. It MIGHT apply to the shop, and certainly explains why Todd has gotten the story he has from the people he's communicated with.

I guess it is no different then people that would go into the dealer to get the seat belt chime "deactivated". They would have to explain to them to read the manual. They are not allowed to disable safety devices, but as an owner, we can't stop you.

Tom