AUDIO AND REAR SEATS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Starcev

Reaction score
currently i have 2 10" subs behind my rear seats with custom boxes.

IM NOT THAT HAPPY WITH THEM.

so im looking to do the rear seat conversion..where its to seperate rear seats without the middle seat....i dont know what its called. 40/40?

so does anyone know where i can find these seats?

thanks in advance,

Anthony

well...40/40 would be 80 so that can't be right. I believe they are currently 60/40 or 70/30 in the 08 gen2.

What you're trying to do shouldn't be very hard. In fact, I think someone on this site has already done it. I know for a fact someone did it to a Gen1 ST that's on cardomain.com and this site. I just can't remember who.

I'd LOVE to do this with my truck but I absolutely need those rear seats to fold down and out of the way in my gen2 STA.

You could try adding a 3rd 10" sub under the rear seat in a custom sealed encloser and pump more power to all 3 subs. That'a about all you can do unless you want to make a ported modular enclosure. The advantage of the modular encloser is that you can port it for really low bass and retain the use of your rear seats. All you have to do is buy quick disconnect wiring couplers and handles for the enclosure. Ported enclosures are the most bass per buck and you probably won't even need to upgrade subs or amps.

Anthony, What is it that you are not happy with? I have 2 10" boston Pros behind my rear seats that I built a custom box for and they produce so much bass and pressure that my ears hurt. :eek:

Do you have any pictures of your setup? Here's mine.

[Broken External Image]:

Also, there are at least a dozen members that have removed the 60% seat and installed another 40% seat. You'll have to weld some new mounting bolts to the floor in order to mount them properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks pretty nice Doug. Did you finish the back panel off or is it still left exposed like that above the enclosure?

It could be his subs. Not all subs are made for the same sound. Some are built for SPL and others for SQ.

[Broken External Image]:

They are sealed and all but I was in my friends car last night and he has 2 12" subs (mine are 10") but it just sounded so much better. My subs get a really bad noise coming from them and it makes the song sound bad. So I want to do have to 40 seats in the back and in the middle make a box with like a 15" sub. I want it to be really loud.

Also i think my subs were bought referbished. Not sure tho

A car will sound better imo. He probably has them in a ported enclosure in his trunk. The trunk itself acts like an enclosure also. You get much more bass. Without a dought he has more cubes of airspace to play with so It's not really a fair comparison.

The 40/40 conversion is done by taking the "60" seat out, cutting and rewelding the frame, then having an upholstery shop trim the foam and seat cover, making it a mirror image of the other side. Just installing another "40" seat would look like crap, as the seats aren't symmetrical on both sides. There's a pretty good project you can follow in the Projects section if you want to do it.

The first difference is going to the 12" subs. You be amazed at the difference an extra 2" makes. :eek: Of course, the vehicle makes a big difference too.

If your subs are making a "really bad noise", that's the first thing you want to check. A quality pair of speakers will make all the difference. I picked up mine as a clearance item because the new models were coming in. I got 50% off. It also looks like the back of your seats would press against the front of your subs when they're up. That really screws things up because you can't move any air and the subs can't get any travel.

See if one of your friends has a good pair of tens your can swap out as a test. Some stereo stores might even do it if you tell them you're going to buy when you find the right pair.

Hope that helps.

12" and larger subs are usually made for SPL setups. Those are the most popular application so they are normally designed for ported enclosures that pump out loose low bass. Simple marketing.

The cone area does move more air, no dought, but it's not significantly more than the right 10" sub in the right enclosure with the right amount of power. You can get almost as much bass.

Many of my friends are blindsided by "big subs" and they overlook the fact that sometimes a smaller sub in the right setup can produce a much better yield.

you could get a better sound out of your smaller box with a speaker that is made more for small volume boxes. kickers are not known for being the best speakers for small boxes. i have had the comp vr's behind the seat and on in the center console and traded them out for two memphis m class for behind the seat and got rid of the center console one. i got a lot better sound and bass

Aren't the Kicker CVT10" subs designed for SQ? So they wouldn't be "thumpers" anyway. You should have really tight, responsive bass. Also, you would have the most accurate sound. with the Kicker's in a sealed enclosure. If your goal is just sick bass then you need to go with a ported enclosure. You won't be happy with a bandpass or sealed.

back to the 40 40 question... XST did it. he seems to have deleted the pictuires of his old interior though, You could try emailing him.

Hey Anthony, I put a post about this up a little while back as well. It's what i've been contemplating ever since i installed my set-up a few months ago:

[Broken External Image]:

It's 2 10" Kicker CVT's in a custom fiberglass enclosure. more pics are in my library. I think i should have used the entire back wall of the cab in designing the sub box and put the amp under the seat. this is also probably why Doug Watts is getting great sound from his setup. It's all about airspace in sealed enclosures (thats what i'm learning after talking to various installers the past few weeks) and it has to match the right amount required by your particular sub. i am about .3 cuft shy of the rec airspace, and thought i could get away with hit....but it just doesn't suond right. after measurements, it looks like i'm going to have to use the entire back wall, or go 40/40 and build something like this:

[Broken External Image]:

This is my sub with exact enclosure space calculated. It's also ported over by the amp. I think it sounds great but I'd like to add another sub under the seat. If I did, I'd get a larger amp to push both. I considered selling it locally but no body showed any interest.

[Broken External Image]:

Corpsman11,

That looks extremely small for the airspace required for a ported enclosure...even with a 10" sub. What are the subs requirements for sealed and ported enclosures?

I actually wish that the Gen2 ST had removable seats instead of fold down seats. It would offer way more cargo space and the ability to just toss a huge ported "modular" enclosure. RS's pic of the custom seats and enclosure is awesome but it still hurts the ST's utility a little bit.

I guess I'm asking to much. It's just not possible to have the cargo space and the huge bass from a ported enclosure.

What Doug Watts said. Check your connections, especially check your grounds, verify that the enclosure specs match the subs, and make sure the gain on the amp matches the voltage from the pre-amp. DO NOT use the gain like a volume control and cramk it up to max.

if you want 40/40 so you can add more subs or amps... or whatever it is you have in mind... woppy posted a project awhile back to make a 40/40 rear seat.

projects->interior-> 40/40 seats ;)

I'm guessing it nolonger matters since you're selling your trac (same anthony I hope, didn't check). Anyhow this may help in the future. I noticed you were selling two 2-ohm subs. How were they wired? In parallel or series or independently? Amp type (mono/stereo)? Amp stability (# of ohms)? If you were running in parallel, I don't think the kicker in your pic would be stable at 1 ohm which could be your problem.

Anyhow, if you are selling, it doesn't matter but again this may help in the future.