Audiophiles, need help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, Im installing an amp and sub in my 2001 ST and decided to maintain the original stereo. I was wondering what wire I should connect the remote wire for the amp to? I know I dont have a power antenna, but the diagram I got online shows a wire. If there is a wire back there for it, do I connect to that. If its not, what should I do?

Here is what I did. I hooked that one into the powerwindow wire in the rear door. This way when I have the kids in the back seat, I can shut it off by hitting the window lock button on the driver's door. It's been hooked up that way for years, and no problems at all.;)

I typically will use the switched power (ignition power) for the radio to power an amp if there is no remote or powered antenna lead. This way, it comes on and off with the radio and/or cd. Otherwise, you'll have to find another switched lead behind the dash, or in the fuse panel, or run your own switch to manually do it.

-Curt

Curt, the windows are "switched". They shut off with the ignition, or in some newer models they will with the door opening. But you are correct, if one can't be found, make your own.;)

I didn't mean to use the window switched power. I meant at the back of the radio, there is constant 12v+ to save clock, stations etc., but there is also the switched power that is powered when the ignition is turned to ACC or ON that is what I use.

Early on in my installing career, I once didn't even have that power, so I probed for switched power, did the whole install, reinstalled the dash pieces etc., only to find out that I had wired it to the door switch, and it wouldn't power if the driver door was closed. HA, that was an angering experiance!

-Curt

NEVER use the antenna lead. If you do and you turn it ti CD, Tape or anything other then the RADIO. the amp will turn OFF. and I am sure you dont want that to happen.

here is the wiring diagram for the 2001

I hope this helps.

Well, I followed the diagram and tried to connect the remote wire to the ignition. But the color wire Im looking for is nowhere behind the cd player. I tried every wire connected to the cd player, and just to try, even the cigarette lighter:unsure:. Nothing turned my amp on. So to make sure its not my amp, I need to just make a switch. I forgot how to though, so I need some help. What wires do I need (Power, ground, remote?) and how to I put it together? THanks for the help.

First Run Power and ground to the Amp.

Then you need a switched power. ( For testing use the same as the input power)

this should make the amp power on.

Then you need to hook up speakers.

then hook up a input source. ( CD, Tape, , even a Ipod)

You should now have sound.

If you dont then you either need a professional to hook up or the amp is bad.

Latest posts