auto start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my auto start today the total was $310 not bad the bypass was $90. But it works great and a great distance.It was the crime stopper,no more cold truck or hot.:D

$90 for a Bipass is pricey. $310 sounds about right for a place to do it though. I usually put them in for $50-$80 and tell people just to get the basic Bulldog ones for $50 at K-Mart. The Bipass usually runs $20-$30 at the place I get them from. Enjoy it. I plan on finally putting one in my ST soon. Been doing it for 4 years now putting them into other people's cars after Christmas, and never put one in mine. Makes no scence to me.;)

Besides money spent, are there any pitfalls to having auto start capability? These chilly mornings are giving me second thoughts. I mean, are they reliable, more susceptible to theft, etc...?

I love my Viper auto start. It was already installed when my '02 was bought by my hubby and I. I can't imagine one would have issues with theft if you keep your doors lock. You can program the system to shut off after so many minutes. The only issue that I had, and I didn't know that on a really cold day, to let the ST run for a solid 5 minutes or more. My ST got very cranky and started like crap after 2 minutes or so of running.:wacko:

FlipTrac, Most starters will kill the engine when the brake is applied without the key in the run position. Thus meaning that they would then have to hotwire it anyway after the engine died. (you have to hit the brake to get it in gear) Nice little feature. Most are reliable, you need to use the right Bipass. I always use the progamable type. Some use a extra progamable ignition key and the key can move when you hit a bump or the coils around the key can have trouble reading the program on cold days. All in all they are a good investment in cold climates and even in hot ones. (to start the airconditioning);)

Stonemiser, you install them and only charge 50-80? Most places around me want $200 for the install. A friend of a friend is willing to do it for $150. When can I come over and you can install mine?!

jlevin75, I work every third weekend with two off in between. I work this weekend so start from there. They really aren't that hard to put in if they aren't to complex. If you want stuff like keyless entry and stuff like that I do charge alittle more. NEVER more than $90. That is why I tell people who already have keyless entry to just go to K-Mart and get the Bulldog ones. No bells and whistles, just a basic remote starter goes for $40-$50. It takes me about 2-3 hours to put one in. Some even quicker. I just can't see charging more than that. If you want to know an easy way of doing it e-mail me and I'll give you the rundown.;)