auto to manual swap?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly to do it completely you need the dash and a computer.....

I bet it could be done in a weekend on a lift at a shop..

i converted my 75 Stang to a tremic T-5 !! it was one of the coolest things i ever did..

Todd Z

Bill all mechanical, But a lot of welding and fitting parts for the tremic 5 speed.......

the OEM manual was a 4 speed.... tiny clutch...

i had to get special balance flywheels, custom make a cable, custom shifter, custom floor mount, yadda yadd ayadda..

Todd Z

Did a similar swap back in the day, 67 GTO, all the bolt holes were in place for the clutch etc. that was all bolt-in, bellhousing and pres plate, disc etc, all bolt-in, crossmember was a PITA as was finding a new driveshaft, all and a good swap.

Do not thing doing a trac would be easy or cheap, nor worthwhile.JMO

I would love to switch mine to a manual but finding a donor manual/4wd ST with the clutch pedal setup, trans/transfer case, driveshaft, computer and gauge cluster for the right money would be hard. I think I'm gonna wait until my truck is paid off to do the SAS frontend and probably just V8 it with an older SB ford or chevy. Do away with the computer and emissions B.S. all together, build up from a heavy 1/2ton or maybe a 3/4 or 1ton. My buddy has alot of trucks that he built up for trailin', muddin', rock crawlin' just sitting around that I can tear into.

Ford needs to dump the Mazda M5OD manual tranny and use the Tremic T5. I've been doing some searching today because, after recently replacing the clutch slave cylinder, I am still having problems shifting. Come to find out that the clutch master cylinder is ALSO a known problem. I am thinking that I probably did not need to have the tranny rebuilt a second time about a year & a half ago; just should have replaced the clutch master cyliner.

Helped a friend go the other way once. He swapped a 4 speed out of his '68 Roadrunner for the built 727 Torqueflite out of another friend's SuperBee. We didn't have any problems. The other friend had to get his crankshaft drilled for the pilot bushing!