Fuel Pump Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, potentially stupid question but I'll ask any way. Does it matter if I get a used fuel pump or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one? If I can get by with a used one, does it matter what year I take it off of?

Honestly I would never play with that used...The time and labor to replace it is not worth my time.

I am not rich enough to be cheep..... Just a saying i try to live by...

As far as years go if go used,,, obviously get one as new as possible

Todd Z

I agree with Todd. The labor is too intensive to install a pump that may or may not fail prematurely.

That is not to say that new pump wont fail in a week, but if it does, at least you will have some sort of warentee...

For the same reson you never buy used water pumps, oil pumps, etc It's a lot of work to replace them, so why risk having to replace them again in a month or two when they die. If if you get the fuel pump free, it's just not worth the trouble to replace a used mechanical or electrical part. Some rebuilt parts are fine if they have been factory rebuilt and have a warranty, but used parts should only be used if a new or rebuilt part is not available, and even then it should be inspected, rested or rebuilt to ensure it's even worth using.

...Rich