AutoDesk Inventor and Autocad Users

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Schaecher

Reaction score
I have a LARGE collection of old manuals that will going to the local landfill. I have Inventor, AutoCAD and Mechanical Desktop manuals, some of which are still sealed that go back to Version 5 or 6.

Anyone need any of them?

They go away at the end of TODAY (wednesday) so please, speak up.

Yeah yeah, it's old junk, but somebody may need something out of it. Any college guys need anything???

Wow, version 5, dating yourself a bit there.:D

I'm not looking but there could be others in my class that could use them. We are curently using AutoCAD 2009 (which I hate, 2008 all the way), so do you have any manuals for that new of a release?

Brant

I'm a part time AutoCAD instructor. Do you have any newer versions like 2008 or 2009?

If not, buy yourself a Fire Pit and use them as kindling.

These are just the manuals and inserts with the software.

I will see what AutoCAD manuals I have for 2008. I am using the ones for 2009.

R Shek, I asked around and no one wants anything, thanks anyway,

Rodger, I agree with that statment entirely, I got to learn on 2000 and 2004 mechanical, and then 2007, 2008, and 2009. I have only used version 12 for a couple hours, and it was very interesting to see the advances. My complaint with 2009 is the shear size of the program, they have completely redone the graphic interface and it really bogs the computors:angry:(I could get a better computor but why not just run 2008 and not have those problems).

On a side note, what version are all of you running and what are your complaints?

Brant

I started using ACAD when it was ver. 2.5 in the mid '80s on a 286 pc; and that was when you took a coffee break when you did a regen. FYI, AutoCad has always loaded all of the acad.exe into RAM; so the key to a faster AutoCad is more ram. Set your AutoSave for as short of time as you are comfortable with. There are other setting in AutoCad to make it run faster, but I have not touched it in 4 yrs. I also attended AutoCAD University before it was called a University, which is a benefit of living near enough to the mother ship.

Wow, this is an old version, but it could be classic. We're operating on AutoCad Civil 3D 2007 and 08 now.:)

I am a supervisor of a technical design group. We are currently using AutoCad 2008 on most projects. The head of our engineering department is trying to force us into SolidWorks. For the type of work we do that is mostly just overkill. We don't need complex 3D models for the majority of what we do. We are talking about pressurized vessels, cylindrical shapes with lots of bends. These are not moving assemblies consisting of lots of little pieces like, say, a transmission. If we need to design a bent tube or pipe or check for interferences we can do that with an AutoCad 3D model. SolidWorks models become friking huge (slow) and SolidWorks makes crappy drawings, IMO. The fabricating shops hate the drawings and have no capability to use a model without drawings. Increased man hours due to overly complex program with little to no benefit for downstream users = BAD IDEA.

Don't get me wrong. I love technology, especially when it makes me more efficient and provides a better product for my customer. So far we have not been able to make SolidWorks do either of those and this has been dragging on for almost six years. :wacko:

I am running Inventor Professional 2009 right now. We are going to skip the next version to save some $$$ (we are subscribers).

I've been pushing for AutoCAD Electrical but no dice so far. Doing ladder diagrams and connection diagrams in standard AutoCAD just plain sucks.

The new AutoCAD Architectural 2009 has introduced a variation the Parametric design feature found in Revit. Looks like the next few versions will be moving to parametric design. It's an entirely different animal but definitely the way to go.

I've been using AutoCAD since 1980 and the changes continuously amaze me. Always keeps me on my toes.

AutoCAD version 2.14 is where I started at. How did you find a version 5 or 6? They jumped straight from 2.something to version 9. There never was a version 5 or 6 of AutoCAD.

And AutoLISP just HAD to mean "Lost In Stupid Parentheses". I used it quite a bit in a previous job with version 12. We used it to auto-generate drawings from our structural analysis program. Actually worked pretty good.

They went from 2.52 to 9. There were no other AutoCAD versions between that.

The only reason they went from 2.5 to 2.52 was to remove the hardware lock. V2.5 had it and caused many problems - it connected to the parallel port between the computer and the printer.

V2.5 was an awesome upgrade - it added Offset and Mirror to name a few. It also allowed you to rotate and scale objects without first making it a block. :cool:

I was in HEAVEN when that came out. :wub:

Latest posts