Auxiliary Input

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture or detailed description of the pin set-up for my 05 XLT ST head unit (Not a 6 disc or mp3 version....just plain:sad:)?

[Broken External Image]:

I would like to purchase a "Ford radio Auxiliary Input Adapter" just need the pin configurations.

I spoke with the local box store and they wanted to put an FM transmitter in for $130 and it had a separate power button....No thanks.

I was thinking something like;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Sport-Trac-2004-2005-Factory-Radio-RCA-Input-Wire-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a83ce5647QQitemZ320038917703QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Explorer-Sport-Trac-2005-Radio-MP3-Zen-Aux-Input-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5187889f69QQitemZ350166228841QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Any help or alternative advice would be appreciated.

BTW - I have thought about changing the HU out altogether however this is cheaper for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not, I just got done replacing the head unit on my 03 because I got tired of aux input add-ons that didn't work, didn't work well, was a pain-in-the-ass or just looked like crap.

I went with a Pioneer 3200 (Wally World $130) and a Schoshe dash kit and wiring kit ($15 and $10 at Wally World).

I have the same stereo in my motorcycle and like the way it works.

A good FM converter is about $50 and don't really work well, so I made this decision.

I couldn't use the straight-in ones, as my 03 doesn't have any RCA input plugs on it.

This was the most cost-effective solution.

I have replace the factory unit twice. First time with a JVC headunit with a separate 12 disc changer. My latest upgrade is to a Sony BT3800U It gives me Bluetooth for my phone and USB for my IPod plus It has a Aux input for other MP3 units. I would highly recommend it. It is an easy change with the proper kit and harness it is plug and play No Cutting

Regards

Jim E

This BLITZSAFE works great in my 2002, just plug inbetween the harnes and radio, has correct harnes connection already, then just get a stereo RCA to mini adapter wire in the length you need to run to your device..

So for $100, you got a AUX input but still have the crappy sounding factory stereo that breaks up at 1/3 volume.

Thats why I spent another $50 and replaced the head unit. I got 50 watts x 4 and the ability to add a subwoofer. Also got a AUX plug and USB support and a remote.

Cost effective if you ask me.

I don't know what unit you had, but mine sounds great all the way up to 90% volume, including the base, and replacing the head unit means possibly losing the remote rear seat controls..

guess "cost effective" is a point of view..

re: Auxiliary Input by doctorcad,7/25/2010 15:54 CT

Believe it or not, I just got done replacing the head unit on my 03 because I got tired of aux input add-ons that didn't work, didn't work well, was a pain-in-the-ass or just looked like crap.

I went with a Pioneer 3200 (Wally World $130) and a Schoshe dash kit and wiring kit ($15 and $10 at Wally World).

I have the same stereo in my motorcycle and like the way it works

:worthless:

replacing the head unit means possibly losing the remote rear seat controls..

I replaced my 02 stock radio with one from an XLT 05, so that I could get MP3 cd capability, and the option to add real aux in, as this radio has an aux button and plug...though I haven't bought that yet...I'm poor.

Though my radio sounds great, for stock. My speakers and sub were Ford's best audio offering in 2002, and they don't crap out @ 33% volume.

On FM, I say stay away. I got a higher end one for my friend as a gift, as he refuses to upgrade his 2000 XLS' radio. The sound is less than desirable, it sounds like someone chopped off the highs and lows & diminished what was left. I thought it was just his crap speakers & no sub (a crime), but we tested this in different areas, and then it hit me--FM radio universally sounds crappy, and is no where near real aux in quality.

Soooo...."Does anyone have a picture or detailed description of the pin set-up for my 05 XLT ST head unit (Not a 6 disc or mp3 version....just plain)?":banghead:

What color are the connectors (plugs) on the back of your radio? Are they black in color and how many pins on the each of 2 connectors? I believe yours is the same as the 98+ standard Ford. I have an pin out diagram for that one.