Back to the dealer :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey B

Reaction score
Well I'm planning to go back tomorrow. My decision was kinda made for me because a Sams Club service guy broke one of my center caps. Yeah reimbursement came up quickly. Went to Ford to buy a new one and it'll be there tomorrow. Sooo since I have to go there anyway, they can do some warranty work. 64k on a 2001 job 2 with premium ESP. Thoughts or suggestions on the following:

Tranny flare 2-3 and sometimes engine revving for a couple of seconds before trans catches while coasting. Much worse condition after the trans was flushed.

Vibration from rear end continued. Had it in before and new shaft was installed with no resolve. They kept insisting it was the brand new michelins. I haven't had a chance to give them another day of my time until now. After having the tires/wheels rotated and balanced today it came back. I think after so many miles the tires wear to the vibration so it seems to fade. Also have a roar from the left rear in turns.

Steering shudder when parked and at slow speeds. Before they lubed some stuff and said it's going to do that. After reading posts here about the issue, that's not acceptable.

2500-3000rpm chatter, pretty bad. Mentioned it before at ford and it was blown off to a statement like, we can do a fuel system cleaning for you and you have to pay for it. I've been running 89oct with no changes.

Oh yeah, I'll pick up my center cap:D

C

Be certain that your complaints about the tranny problem are documented and that you make them often.

There was a TSB related to the steering shudder.

The rear end shudder is tougher becasue they will blame it on the tires. Have them rotate the fronts to the rear and see if it goes to the front. If so, blame it on the tires, if not, blame it on Ford.

The chatter sounds like the usual timing chain problem.

If the dealer doesn't address these problems, take it to another dealer, if you can. If not, go straight to a regional or corporate customer service person and complain. Be VERY nice, but be firm. Nice goes a long way, but only if you are firm. At some point, mention this web site to the Ford customer service person and how many people here are always talking about Ford service and whether we should buy new Tracs, Expeditions and F150's.

Rememebr, kill them with kindness, but don't back down. You paid for a good trusk and the ESP, you have already paid for these repairs.

Keep us posted as to what they do for you...

I've already been in about the vibration. When I bought the truck I put new tires on it. After 2 different shops balanced them, it was determined that they were out of round (Bridgestone). Took them back and got Michelins. When I went to Ford about it they blamed the tires and wanted me to pay for balancing. I told them that if they could stop the vibration with their balancing I would pay, if the vibration remained I wouldn't pay. They balanced, I didn't have to pay. That's when the put a new drive shaft in it. Still vibrating so I go back and they balance again. By this time I am sick of sitting at ford (I always have my 1 yr old with me). I haven't had a chance to go back til now.

Transmission will be evident upon driving.

Timing chain rattle is evident. Another dealership stated it was pinging and was normal.

Steering shudder is more when parked but as mentioned in other posts I need to ensure that I reference slow speeds as well.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts