backspacing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Stevens

Reaction score
so from what ive been told is that when looking for new wheels to get a backspacing of 4" but i also would like to get 1.5" wheel adapters to give the trac a wider stance... so my question is if i find a set of wheels with a 2.5" BS would that eliminate my need for the wheel adapters?

It all depends on the wheel size and width you want to run. If you do 15x8 with 3" b.s. then it'll give you the look your'e wanting. Remember, you have IFS, they are weak when you put an oversized tire/ lift/ wider wheels and spacers on them.

What size are you looking to get?

i was looking at getting 16x8 wheels with either a 4" or 2.5" backspace... 4" because it was that is what seems to be the norm but 2.5" because that would eliminate the need for spacers... but there isnt much selection for wheels with a 2.5" BS so i may just end up going with the 4" anyway...

First, I would recommend NOT getting 16" aftermarket wheels. Check tire prices and availability to see why.

I went through the same backspacing thing when I was looking at wheels. I also considered 2.5" backspacing. I finally decided against it because it just pushes too much of the weight outside of the hub and, in my opinion, is going to be just as harmful to the hubs and balljoints as running spacers with large tires. It will also push the tires out so far that you will have more issues with rubbing on the outer edge of the wheel wells.

If it wasn't for needing to rotate the wheels, I'd say 2.5" would be fine on the rear (or any solid axle for that matter) but on the IFS, it's just as bad as spacers with oversized tires.

I was told 4.25" backspacing was too much. I risked it, though, and all the naysayers were wrong. I don't have issues on the outer wheel wells because of the larger backspacing (although probably at the max) which pulls the wheels/tires inside the wheel wells more. From the pictures of everyone else's trimming with 33x12.5 tires, I didn't have to really do much more, if any more, trimming than them inside the wheel wells even with 35s.

So, short of it is, I would recommend an 8" wide wheel with backspacing between 3.5" to 4.25". Also, a 15" or 17" wheel for offroad tire choices/prices.

Agree Hugh, I'm kicking myself for keeping the stock 16" size.

Can't find rims that I like for my new $900 Michelin Latitudes. :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hugh is correct but with a 15" wheel your limited on what will clear the calipers. A 15" wheel needs atleast 4"-3.75" max b.s. to clear the calipers but only if the wall of the wheel isn't too thick. This is why most of us get Soft 8's, we know for a fact they clear. Mine are 15x8 with 4" b.s..

well the tires im thinking of trying are 315 75 16 from treadwright and they cost $730 to my door for 4 tires

the wheels are american racing fuel 16 x 8 5x4.5 hub= 83.06 with a 4" BS... i also get 10% off of these

That'll work, too.:banana:

The thing I've noticed about Treadwright is that they seem to follow demand more than other larger companies. If they aren't selling as much of a certain size tire, they cut its production entirely. You'll probably be fine with those since a lot of Tacos run 16" wheels and there are tons of those trucks on the roads.

Gonna look good.:supercool: