Bad dimmer switch?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David J 3

Reaction score
Tonight I tried to use my light on the back of the cab while loading some stuff. When I turned the dimmer switch to get the cab light on I heard a strange static sound from behind the radio and the cab light did not work. The static or electrical sound happens while rotating the dimmer, sounds like something is shorting out. I did a search and did not find anybody else having this problem. Any ideas?

Do the dash lights dim with he switch??, can you turn on the interior lights?... Does the light work when you open the doors?

Todd Z

Did you try just opening the interior door??... Sometimes it only comes on with the doors open....

I went out to check it and everything works now that it's daylight and I don't need the light.. I still hear that sound coming from behind the radio when the dimmer is rotated.

My brothers F150 out side light comes on when the doors are opened, but my sport trac never worked that way. I suspect that it's a bad dimmer switch, and it looks like a pain to replace so I'll probably live with it, like I do with so many other little things on this truck.

Thanks for the input.

are you talking about the bed light, cause on earlier ST the rear light would only come on with the switch i think not with the door unless you do the project to conect it to your interior lights like i did. or maybe the out side bulb is just burnt out.

Last edited by a moderator: