bad fuel economy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Melo

Reaction score
Hi, ive owned my sport trac for a month, Ive been getting 23L/100km or 9mpg which is equalling to 267km per tank and that is hwy, I get 24 - 26L/100KM in the city, I use premium fuel, ive replaced the air filter and drive normal. I haven't replaced the spark plugs yet but checked them and they still look good, I plan on replacing them next weekend. any help would be much appreciated.

You should be getting double that fuel mileage. How many miles (km) on your Trac? What's the service history? First thing I'd suggest is that you run synthetic lubricants in engine, transmission, transfer case (if 4X4) and differential(s). I'm a sponsor of this site and am an AMSOIL dealer, so can help you with any of that - and sell in Canada too.

rich i also own a 2008 trac and in the much colder months my mpg drops too 12 mpg in the warmer months though i do see a good increase up too as much as 19 mpg city i use a synthetic blend of oil and change every 6 thousands miles. from the info i found out about lower gas mpg is the the computer is adjusting too colder weather on intake thus lower mileage. which makes seance too me

Hi Richard,

I purchased my 2010 STA in December 2013. Even with the extremely cold weather and idling I got 15 to 16 l/ 100 km.

On the highway I average about 12 l/100 doing 110 km/hr.

So there is something wrong with your truck.

Suggest you do all of the usual maintenance items, such as air filter, plugs, etc.

Hopefully you have a good mechanic you can trust to figure out what is wrong.

All the best from a fellow Canadian !

Paul

thanks for the replies, this coming weekend Im going to replace the oil with synthetic and replace the spark plugs. Im going to connect a scan tool and check the fuel trim as well, maybe I have a slow o2 sensor. I shopped around for a while when buying this truck and it was the cleanest that I came across, Im very surprised with the fuel economy hopefully its an easy fix.

Never heard of a "slow O2 sensor." If it's bad it's going to throw a code and turn on the CEL. Inspection/cleaning of your throttle body may help; also adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to fuel tank may be beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow O2 sensors are a very real thing.

If your mileage is that poor you have a pretty major issue happening. I would save the money on synthetic fluids and focus on fixing the actual problems first. Spark plugs are not going to create that kind of fuel mileage loss unless you have a very severe misfire caused by a bad plug in which case you should feel it. The first thing to look at it,which you already stated you are going to do, is the fuel trims. But you have to look at them under all driving conditions to get an idea of what tehy are doing.

Have you checked the MAF to see if it is clean. That is usually what casues that severe of a mpg loss on these vehicles.

hey guys just an update, so I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF senser and added a can of c foam to the gas tank, ive driven for a couple of days and the fuel mileage has come down to 21.5l per 100km. I think that's about 12mpg, still crap but better. this weekend ill finish the tune up. That cfoam stuff is suppose to be really good, im going to run a can in my oil before I change it.