Bad ticking - motor quit - now everthing just spins

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you comp. test both pass. and driver side or just one. If you tested the pass. side only and either the chaid or jackshaft broke, there won't be any compression. The timing chain on the pass side is on the back of the motor and has typically been the one that caused the timing chain tick. Replacing that chain will require pulling the motor and from my understanding, that requires removing the ac system as well.

If you found a used motor for that price with that type of mileage, go for it. Will be better than the headache that rebuilding our 4liter will be.

Did you comp. test both pass. and driver side or just one. If you tested the pass. side only and either the chaid or jackshaft broke, there won't be any compression. The timing chain on the pass side is on the back of the motor and has typically been the one that caused the timing chain tick. Replacing that chain will require pulling the motor and from my understanding, that requires removing the ac system as well.

If you found a used motor for that price with that type of mileage, go for it. Will be better than the headache that rebuilding our 4liter will be.

If you blow a head gasket then the cylinder has lost it's ability to hold compression, therefore the compression gauge will not move, likewise if the clinders get washed down with coolant they lose their ability to hold compression and there again you have no compression on the gauge.

If you found a motor for $1000 and it only has 900 miles(how did that happen) I would jump on it.

Personally I find it quite easy to replace the heads on this engine while it is in the truck...then again I am just a wee bit more than your weeked mech.

Dan V,

Are you going to Louisville? Want to bring your bad motor with you and donate it? I'm taking an engine building class in the fall and right now I have an old B&S 6.5hp lawnmower motor to "learn" on...

I did a compression test on 2 cylinders on the pass side and 3 cylinders on the drivers side. I've done compression tests on motors that have had blown head gaskets and they have always shown comression, just very low compression.

Sorry, not going to Louisville. But I need to get some money back on the motor and with the price of scrap right now I could probably get about $100 scrapping it.

If the head gasket is blown between 2 cylinders then it is dam near impossible for the compression gauge to show any compression, expecially if you have the spark plugs out when doing the compression test. Realistically though just what exactly do you expect to learn by a compression test...no googling

This is sort of a no brainer IMO, buy an engine (compleate) with 900 miles, for a grand

Or spend 15 hun on a re-build, do the math.

Latest posts