Ball Joint Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Cat

Reaction score
Just wondering, if your ball joints are bad and you continue to drive on them being bad without replacing them what will happen?

I am not saying that I am purposely doing this. Just a question because I think mine might be bad, but I was wondering what it would do if you have been driving with them bad for a long time and not have known about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The socket that the ball pivots in wears. As it wears the ability to allow the ball to come out of the socket presents itself. If this happens, IT IS BAD!!!!

Your control arm will NOT be connected to your steering knuckle. If it does separate you will have the great potential to lose the ability to steer. You can physically turn the wheel but now that the ball joint separated the knuckle may not turn as it is at a different pivot point.

Bottom line, it may present a very dangerous situation....

Test the ball joints. Rains the front and place a board (three to four feet oughta do) under the tire and lift. If the wheel moves up at all, there's too much play and new ball joints and upper control arms are in your near future.