Ball Joint Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P Kru

Reaction score
Hey all,

The folks at Tires Plus changed my oil a few months ago and said I needed lower ball joints. They wanted like $800 for it. All I wanted was an oil change and the $25 bill, so I said no to the ball joints.

How soon do I have to replace them? Can it wait awhile? How long? The front end creaks when going over speed bumps, so I think they need to be done.

I am not very handy, so I think I'll take the ST in soon to get fixed. Any advice....go to Ford dealer ok?

Or is it easy to do? Can I get a detailed listing of parts I need?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had my upper and lower done for 511 bucks. Given this was a guy that my dad has used/known for years. The 511 included changing out my serpintine belt and alignment. I'm not to keen on having places like that do too much to my vehicles. this was on a 2001 ST 4X4, just FYI.

I did my own. Pretty easy to do, and fairly straightfoward. I replaced my uppers and it the only hard part was getting the upper control arm to seperate from the spindle. Other than that it was cake. Definately not worth 800 bucks.

The link below is to a complete rundown of all that went into replacing the ball joints on a 1997 Explorer Sport, which I think is the same as our Sport Tracs.

Anyone out there disagree?

edit: This is only a lower ball joint and tie rod replacement, which is all that is necessary for what he is looking to do. However, since I understand the upper ball joint cannot be removed from the control arm, doesn't the entire upper control arm have to be replaced to do the uppers? Easier to replace the whole control arm, but it HAS to be aligned afterward, and may not even be driveable for more than a short distance without major tire wear unless it is aligned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul, I would take it to a local Mechanic shop and have them put in aftermarket "greasable" ones. If you take it to Ford, you will pay more for labor and they will put in the same "sealed" units that you have and then you may have the same problem later down the road. The vehicle will need to be realigned after. $800 is a bit much for that since the greasable balljoints are relitively inexpensive and will last longer.;)

when I replaced my upper ball joints, as stated above, I had to replace the whole control arm. I got it for like 60 bucks. And they are greaseable. Very cheap to do yourself..If you are slightly mechanically inclined Id seriously try to do it yourself.

Do it, with aftermarket parts (Moog makes good stuff). $800.00 is the going price in So. CA, dealer or not. If you have the tools, or can get them, and the time, you may want to do it yourself. My time is worth more than what I pay for labor, so I pay for the service and get a warranty that I wouldn't have if doing it myself. If there is a defective part and you did the work yourself, you get to do it again. Fun.