Ball Joint replacement tips

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
Last weekend I attempted to replace the lower ball joints and upper ball joint assembly. Some lessons learned:

I had to use a special tool to disconnect the spindle/knuckle assembly from the lower ball joint stud. Even had to use a C-clamp at the top of the claw tool and probably maxed out the capability of the tool. Very difficult to pop loose. This is not the ball joint removal/install kit.

Pushing out the old lower ball joints from the lower suspension assembly was not too bad, but it was difficult pressing in the new ones. Got about half-way...then pressed them back out, cleaned the receiving assembly and re-installed using a light film of oil. I don't plan on ever doing this again. Again, thought I would break the tool...or my arms. Yes, the new ones were the correct size, but they had raised edges that would slightly cut into the lower assembly as they were pressed in.

Went to remove the upper ball joint/assembly and found that on the driver side the front bolt going through the bushing would not slide all the way out. There are two steel fuel lines in the way of the bolt head. Since the bolt head has a large welded washer, it would not pass by the fuel lines. Crud...but the uppers seemed to still be ok. Thank Ford..great placement.

Passenger upper assembly removed ok, but my new part didn't have the same outside metal bushings as the OEM...and thus did not fit tight. Re-installed the OEM...and again it still seemed ok. Thanks MOOG

Installed a Camber/cam adjustment set on passenger side...but because the driver side bolt would not remove, I couldn't use the other kit set that I had purchased.

Was not pleased with the MOOG upper assemblies purchased from RockAuto. One was missing a grease nipple and the bushing assembly was incorrect. I wasn't able to install the other...and it was a sealed unit. Sent them back...and RockAuto has been easy to deal with, but I probably won't be ordering on-line again. Too much trouble.

That was a full day of difficult work...even with using a heavy duty ball joint tool kit from Advance Auto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time your installing new lower ball joints and the screw on the ball joint tool gets hard to turn get yourself a BFH and hit the lower control arm in the area of the lower ball joint, it will free up and you can continue. If it gets tight again just hit it again. You can persuade the fuel lines out of the way to get the bolt out without damaging anything. Upper control arms and lower ball joints on these take me about 1.5 hours.....I've had LOTS of practice.

You have to be careful, Moog does sell a "Problem Solver" ball joint that is over sized for the folks that have worn the hole out. Maybe you had one of those.

I did this job two summers ago, and I don't recall the line clearance issue you mentioned.

I bought the inexpensive upper/lower kit off of ebay. Used the Harbor Freight press. They were a little tough to get out but the new ones went in easy.

I was thinking I would use the Moog parts if I ever did the lowers again. But after hearing your experience with them I may think again.

You have to be careful, Moog does sell a "Problem Solver" ball joint that is over sized for the folks that have worn the hole out. Maybe you had one of those.

Just received my new Movetech lower ball joints...but with zero instructions.

This is why multiple threads are not needed. The one above is the OP's fourth post for lower ball joints. JMO

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1349608&REPLYCOUNT=3

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1349590&REPLYCOUNT=5

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1349500&REPLYCOUNT=13

Last edited by a moderator:
swshawaii makes a valid point. While different people cannot be expected to join on previous threads of others for a given topic, using the same thread for a particular concern is useful as it corrals the problem and solution information in one place.

Sorry, but my prior posts were regarding specific questions...whereas this post was providing some feedback as to the job I did and how it went. Didn't realize I would get flamed on a slow site. I'll take my ball joint and go home now...:bwahaha:

Not really flaming, and certainly not at you (more of a general heads-up). I apologize for any upset caused by my targeting error.

You DID provide the result of your endeavor, and that's important.

The idea is that all information regarding a problem, upgrade or question be in one place, so it's easily accessible.

As for the ball joint, you've earned them.

Agree Yardsale. John, your follow ups are greatly appreciated, whether you succeeded or not. :supercool: :supercool:

Latest posts