Ball joints wear out early?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clandress

2007 2WD V6 XLT
Supporting Member
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
My 2007 V6 2WD sport trac has some play in the ball joints on the drivers side front. It has only 61,000 miles on it. Is this normal for these trucks? I have a quote for $550 to have them replaced and a wheel alignment. Should I use Ford ball joints or is there another brand that would be better?

They do indeed wear out quickly on these trucks. That price sounds about right for both sides. And can't go wrong with Ford ball joints, just don't use cheapies or you'll be replacing them again sooner than you want.

So, I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my '02 Sport Trac at 100K. Greased the Moog replacements EVERY 3000 miles when I change the oil and rotate tires. I have a failing left upper ball joint now at 200K. Is the consensus that 100K is about how long ball joints last on this truck?

Judging from other comments I think 100,000 is pretty normal. I'm thinking of having Moog put in my truck. I like the idea of greasing them periodically.

Me too on the greasing. BUT, I thought when I put them in at 100K if I greased them religiously they would last longer..... If they are only going to last 100K should I save myself the trouble and just replace with the non-greaseable???? The OEM non-greaseable lasted 100K.....

So, the left upper control arm (drivers's) with the Moog ball joint only comes non-greaseable? Seems wierd

^ If you're referring to Moog upper control arms, the CK (Problem Solver) series are greaseable. RK service grade UCA's are not greaseable. With Moog it seems a 50/50 love or hate split. If I had to guess at least half of the aftermarket replacements used are Moog. I love their premium CK series suspension parts, but admit their "old style" rubber boots suck just like most other brands rubber boots. Moog redesigned their lowers years ago using a "bootless" design, but the uppers still use the old style that usually won't last the life of the ball joint.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...,4.0l+v6,1385355,suspension,control+arm,10401https://www.suspension.com/blog/moog-control-arms-ck-k-or-rk/

Starting at 60K the fronts had issues on all my Sts..... Hubs first, then ball joints, then arm bushings by 150K.....

Starting at 60K the fronts had issues on all my Sts..... Hubs first, then ball joints, then arm bushings by 150K.....
Yes, to me that is unacceptable for vehicles that are not off-roaded or used for rough work details. A truck used for just daily commuting and light hauling should have the hub and ball joint type issues IMO! The two-piece plug issue kind of struck me the wrong way as well as a few other "service issues"! Mine still has only 88,000 miles on it!

Last edited:
Yes, to me that is unacceptable for vehicles that are not off-roaded or used for rough work details. A truck used for just daily commuting and light hauling should have the hub and ball joint type issues IMO! I was kind of a Ford guy in my younger years, and this is the first and last new Ford I've ever owned. The two-piece plug issue kind of struck me the wrong was as well as a few other "service issues"! Mine still has only 88,000 miles on it!
Omg how is that possible that every component in a sport trac doesn't last over 100000miles.

Get over it, I have a 2010 explorer and 2004 sport trac and have owned a total of 8 explorers in my years. There is very little repair to do on these if you keep up on your maintenance.

Yes if you own an explorer always plan on doing ball joint every 60000 miles, and plan on the rears Making noise at some point.

Last year I bought my sport trac, 205000 miles and first thing I did was replace absolutely everything in the front end of the truck.

Don't even get me started on hubs, which I swear is every 2 years. But nothing else ever breaks so I'm happy.

this is what you don't want to happen while driving
20211020_172610.jpg

^ If you're referring to Moog upper control arms, the CK (Problem Solver) series are greaseable. RK service grade UCA's are not greaseable. With Moog it seems a 50/50 love or hate split. If I had to guess at least half of the aftermarket replacements used are Moog. I love their premium CK series suspension parts, but admit their "old style" rubber boots suck just like most other brands rubber boots. Moog redesigned their lowers years ago using a "bootless" design, but the uppers still use the old style that usually won't last the life of the ball joint.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...,4.0l+v6,1385355,suspension,control+arm,10401https://www.suspension.com/blog/moog-control-arms-ck-k-or-rk/
I had both upper and lower control arms replaced on my 04 sporty at 140,000 miles and I just love the squeak-free ride!!

So, went for inspection sticker yesterday, and wouldn't you know it, passenger side hub assembly needs to be replaced, again. This will be the third time in a truck I have only put about 60K on over the last few years. It should be illegal to build crap that consistently does not hold up to its intended job.

I’m on my second set in addition to the originals. The Motorcraft hubs lasted about 100,000 miles for me.

So, went for inspection sticker yesterday, and wouldn't you know it, passenger side hub assembly needs to be replaced, again. This will be the third time in a truck I have only put about 60K on over the last few years. It should be illegal to build crap that consistently does not hold up to its intended job.

Sounds like its being installed improperly.. Or you have something else moving and they are blaming the hub, bad diagnosis...

I've gone with a different mechanic since then, so I'll have them take a look around when they get it up on lift.

Well, it turns out in this case it is indeed the ball joints, which I have not replaced, and not the wheel bearing/hub assemblies, which I have replaced. Chunk of change, but I still like this truck more than 90% of what's out there in my price range, so the work will get done.

Latest posts