ball joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Poche

Reaction score
i sent the trac the shop and i just got a call i need all new ball joints the cost is $770.00 with cams and an alingment how does that sound.

Is that uppers and lowers? If so that's a great deal.

If it's just lowers you may be able to do better.

Ball joints, 4 @ 30 bucks = 120

Pickle fork = 10

Ball joint press =35

Kit and allignment =200.

Total 365. Sounds better. BUT, I'm thinking 6 to 8 hours for the weekend mechanic so maybe four hours labor in a shop? (Hal could give us the expected shop time) 75 bucks an hour times 4 = 300. So maybe 770 isn't such a bad deal after all.

grump

Including brake pads too? Not bad. I had the upper and lower ball joints, including the upper control arms, on my '01 4WD replaced for about $800.00

The upper ball joints are only available as complete control arms (Official Ford parts), that tends to keep the price up there.

Thanks Hal. I think the key there is "Official Ford Parts". The ball joints list for 34.99 and the joint with arm lists for 91.99. They run less than 30 at Autozone.

That is still a good price though for the guy that doesn't want to tackle it himself, especially including new brake pads.

grump

yep the shop is owned by a costumer of my mom so he gave me a brake on parts all parts Are from napa with life time warranty and 6 months on labor pads are napa premium pads life time.Total $800 tax included

Took the trac in because of bad squeak whenever I turn or bounce on the streets. My garage told me the same thing and estimated it at $1400. Took it to another shop who just greased them up somehow and the squeak went away. He thought I may have one bad ball joint (lower I believe) that he could fix for $200.

Don't know if the first garage was trying to get more money out of me or if they were just being cautious. We'll see in a couple of months if the squeak comes back.

i got mine in hand and they are shot i could have changed them but it is to dam hot down here. i will pay the $250 in labor.

Latest posts