ball joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 57557

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with worn ball joints on thier Sport Trac? My mechanic has told me that my joints are ready to fall off at only 78 000 km (48 466 miles). He says this should not happen, and I should go to Ford and demand it be fixed through warranty.

Do a search on ball joints in here... wow have people had issues.

I haven't, but my inner tie rods were shot at only 55K

Both the upper and lower ball joints do have a tendancy to wear out. The replacement lower joints (at least if you get Ford ones) seem to last longer than the originals.

Oversize tires, cranking up the torsion bars, and off roading seem to contribute to faster wear for some.

It is out of warranty. Fixing them isn't hard or expensive. Ball joints fail sometimes. Roads can be hard on them depending where you live.

Tom

Ball Joints, later in the life of a 'Trac, and Shocks, earlier on, are a Genetic Defect in the

Design and Engineering of our vehicles! It is something that must be dealt with and compensated

for if you are to truly love a 'Trac!!!

Make sure your replacement parts are either Moog or TRW, and have the lubeable (grease)

fittings on them, for your replacement parts!:D;)