Ball Joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Montez

Reaction score
I just took my truck to the alignment shop and they said I had to have all of my ball joints replaced. The reason I took it in is because when i lift my truck up on jacks I can shake my tires back and forth.. The shop told me my bearings were good and my ball joints needed to be replace, but its 1000 bucks because they can't replace the ball joints without replacing the whole rack. Is this true, can you not replace the ball joints without replacing the whole rack?

Kirk

Upper ball joints are not replaceable, and you have to replace the entire upper control arm. About $135 apiece, if I remember right. Get Moog brand so you can replace the ball joints should the need ever arise again.

Lower ball joints are replaceable, at about $35 apiece. (I think)

$340 for parts, and $660 for labor. Sounds like a great deal...for them!

Here's a link to someone that did a writeup on replacing the lower ball joints. Once you get everything out, the upper control arm just unbolts from the frame. Bolt the new one in, finish everything else shown, and then take it immediately to an alignment shop to get the wheels aligned.

I just came in from doing my own lowers.I got them at NAPA for $42 each plus rented a ball joint press for $20. I did both sides in 2.5 hrs.I do have air tools and a nice shop which always helps. THE LINK POSTED TO THE JOB ON HERE IS EXCELLENT! No hidden hang-ups at all!

...but its 1000 bucks because they can't replace the ball joints without replacing the whole rack. Is this true, can you not replace the ball joints without replacing the whole rack?

Are they talking about a steering rack? Ball Joints have NOTHING to do with the steering rack.

Are they lower or upper ball joints? Lower ball joints support the weight of the vehicle. The upper joints keep the knuckle under control. The steering rack has outer and inner tie rod ends. The outer tie rod ends are simple to change. The inner ones are very hard and in some apications it is easier to swap the rack.

So, if what you are saying is true, they are telling you lies. Replace ball joints, but you need to replace the rack.

While you are at it, don't forget a quart of headlight fluid and check my muffler bearing.

Tom

Latest posts