Band adjusrment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Search EPC, many threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea...Let me rephrase.

I'm talking about the band adjustment procedure. Torque wrench on the nuts outside the transmission.

This is not something normally done...... and normally if it needs adjustment during its service life its shot, and if that's the case adjusting it will destroy the hard parts in the tranny when you go for a rebuild.

Todd Z

As johnny and Todd said. Modern trans no need. Pressures are modulated nowdays.

If there is any out side adjusters and the trans has some problems. Even with proper torque. You will quiken the failure. When you see trans service adds, that say adjust the bands. It is BS....

Ask me how I know.....................:banghead::banghead:

It wasnt my trac though.........

I'm looking at the factory manual an they have a procedure for it.

Why would the procedure be there if it did not need to be done at some point?

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe a procedure would be described in the manual that

"adjusting it will destroy the hard parts in the tranny".

Of course if you don't know what your are doing, then yes, you will destroy things.

It's my understanding that over time some amount of friction material is worn from the bands and that this adjustment compensates. Search the web, many truck owners do this when they change the tranny fluid.

Basically the procedure for the Sport Trac (Gen 1) is:

1) Remove the shift cable (I think it gets in the way)

2) Remove the old lock nuts (throw them away), without unscrewing the adjustment screws from their present positions.

3) Install new lock nuts loosely, Lube their seals with vasoline.

4) Torque the adjustment screws down to 10 ft lbs and then back them out exactly two turns.

5) Hold the position and tighten lock nuts down (35-44 ft lb).

6) Re-install shift cable.

Manual warns "Do not allow the front band adjustment screw to back out. Band strut can fall out of position."

I think if before you start you mark the present position of the adjuster and then perform the adjustment then you can be sure that you have not gone to far astray.

Are these adjustments involving rebuild? Or service?

My question is why would band adjustment be needed for service.

All I know is I did this once on a torqueflite trans. I followed instructions exactly. The results were damning..

So I never found a need to adjust the bands again. Throughout any trans life.

Im fairly literate with auto maintenance. I trust my abilities. Over 40yrs of building cars.

I remember cars in the 60s and 70s had auto transmission band adjustment as a routine service. Nothing difficult, just need a service manual, a torque wrench and carefully watch what you are doing.

You probably ought to listen to the voices of experience here. These guys know our Tracs very well. If they haven't done it, they have heard about someone else's experience.

I know nothing about adjusting bands on the Trac's modern transmissions. It does not appear in the maintenance schedule anywhere, even on the Severe listings. You might want to consult a FORD service manual or a trained and experienced FORD technician. before messing up your transmission. If MY trac were having transmission problems, I would not go any farther than a pan drop and filter change doing the work myself. (Actually, as busy as I am, I would probably just take it to the dealer and let them do it, and any other service work they recommend.)

All I can say is you asked, we answered, and now your arguing your point.....

Go ahead and adjust yours, Report the findings......

If it holds up great, IF not ohh well....

Todd Z

Agree Todd. OP, if YOU know, why are you asking? :banghead:

Just wondering if anybody has ever done a band adjustment on their transmission. Did it improve?

Like I said if you don't know what you are doing you will destroy things.

Yep, Its looking like I should just do it.

What I find amusing is you guys will happily twist the EPC screw a 1/4 of a turn (which is something I find of a questionable nature and is not discussed in the factory service manual), but will scorn the mention of attempting to adjust what is clearly described in the factory manual and is an external adjustment on the transmission.

FWIW - Here are some Ranger folks who've had some success:

http://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/adjusting-bands-auto-tranny-wonderful-34180/

I'm not out to start any arguments, but if I ask the simple question and all I get back is "I did this and the tranny broke", well I'm just going to ignore you. You did something wrong. This is a simple clearance adjustment.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Reading that forum, 1 person did it with luck and MANY others warn the same thing we did.

The manual is not always right and is not bible...... Does the manual say to install a supercharger??? Does it say to install a cold air intake???

If your bands are worn or you feel you have an issue then by all means adjust it.

Most of the people that ask about this is they want to mess with it to "bang" gears, or chirp the tires into second....

Only blowing the tranny to pieces.

Even the forum says if the band is worn you will snap it or break or damage something.....

We only stated and warned the same thing

Todd Z

Dean,

Perhaps the Band Adjustment instructions in the manual, are there to allow a shop to readjust the bands after the owner thought he could fix his tranny and made it worse :smack:

Much of the work that a mechanic has to do is repair the damage done by the owner or someone who thinks they can fix anything.....people who think they know better or they don't have the proper tools, but can use another tool to substitute, etc.

...Rich

Outside of having about 95k miles accumulated , there is no outstanding issue with my transmission.

However, like many things that wear slowly over time, I don't think we perceive the gradual degradation. We acclimate to it.

It's quite possible after adjusting the bands I'll be amazed at the "new tranny feel" that I had once known (but now forgotten) has magically returned.

In any case, the engineer in my head tells me that after 95k miles, some amount of wear has occurred on the band material. Adjusting the clearance isn't going to hurt anything.

I'll mark the original position on the adjusters and note how much further turned in after the procedure. I'm curious to know that.

"Outside of having about 95k miles accumulated , there is no outstanding issue with my transmission."

That would appear to be my answer for me to leave adjustments alone...especialy if the trans-pan wasnt "full" of wear material. A heavy layer.....

Dean,

I agree with you on the "Gradual wearand slow degradation of parts" that we often don't notice unless they completely fail.

However, they are things that you can do or check before you start making adjustments that may or may not be needed and end up making matters worse.

Have you ever had the transmission fluid "Flushed" (Not just changed) ?? A transmission flush will replace about 97%-98% of the old contaminated fluid with fresh fluid.

I had the transmission flushed on my 2001 Sport Trac after 30K miles. The transmission was performing fine before the flush, but I was amazed at how well it worked after the flush. Shifts were much quicker and crisp and the truck accelerated quickly without any signs of slippage.

When I got my 2003 Sport Trac, I had the tranny flushed at 20K miles. Again, the transmission was performing well before the flush, and there was little or no change after the flush.

If you have not had your tranny flushed in more that 20K miles, it might be worth it get it flushed before you start trying to make adjustments that everyone has advised against making

You might be pleasantly surprised or even amazed at the results.

The old rule was to have your tranny fluid changed before you attempted any repairs or adjustments. I think that the Tranny Flush is far superior to a simple fluid change, and the results are even more remarkable.

...Rich

Hate to keep linking this, but very worthwhile reading IMO.

swshawaii,

I am a believer in transmission flushes vs the conventional fluid change. Dropping the pan only removes about 50% of the fluid while a tranny flush will replace nearly all the fluid.

My only disagreement with the link you posted is that your transmission does not require any additional cleaners...that is total BS and just unsubstantiated hype used by the service center to gain additional profit. Unlike engine oil, the transmission fluid does not become contaminated with blow-by combustion products. Tranny fluid is damaged (burnt) by overheating and contaminated with very fine particles from clutch and band wear that gets by the filter.

Also, nobody can (or should) claim that "100%" of the old fluid is replaced during a transmission flush. Honest service centers will only claim that 97%-98% of the fluid is replaced (which is about right). That is because the the old fluid is pumped out as a result of the new fluid being pumped in. During the process, there will always be some mixing of the old and new fluid in the transmission and so a 100% replacement of fluid is never achieved because there is always a small amount of old fluid mixed in with the new fluid. A typical flush requires 10-14 quarts of fluid and the more fresh oil pumped through the transmission, the more you will dilute the remaining old dirty fluid, but at some point provides little or no additional cost/performance advantage.

...Rich