Battery Drain Resolved!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamabunch2005

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Purchased my first Sport Trac a couple of months ago, one owner, 2009, 4.0 Limited 2wd, 125K miles. Previous owner stated that it had recently developed an issue with the battery draining she had a repair shop install a new battery and alternator twice, remove fuses to kill power to accessories, all to no avail. The truck has been extremely well maintained and cared for so I bought knowing about the problem. Trailered the truck over 200 miles home and was able to jump start, within two days the battery drained again. Took it to Auto Zone (where the replacement parts were purchased (also had the alternator tested and was good), and they charged it overnight, put it back in and drove it two more days and on the third day dead again. What the hell could be draining the battery! then it hit me! the new battery wasn't being charged while driving, although the twice new Auto Zone alternator tested good. so I went to the local Ford parts department and purchased a new OEM alternator and swapped it out, and now NO MORE ISSUES, for 6 weeks now, even let the truck set for a week without cranking and started right up. Really enjoy driving this little truck, my wife drives it more often than her new Gladiator. Hope everyone finds my experience helpful.

I had a similar issue with mine but it turned out that the factory amplifier on the subwoofer was draining the battery when I wasn’t driving it,
There IS a well known problem with water leaks from rain around the third stop light that damages the subwoofer amplifier mounted behind the driver's side back seat. New gaskets may fix this leak.

There IS a well known problem with water leaks from rain around the third stop light that damages the subwoofer amplifier mounted behind the driver's side back seat. New gaskets may fix this leak.
Thanks, I'm a new owner and didn't know that.

See, Bench testing sucks.... LOL.... Glad you found it.

Latest posts