Battery Tender/Charger

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
Is there a good tender/charger that doesn't break the bank? I need one that will both trickle/maintain and fully charge without having to worry about overcharge. I don't mind spending money for a quality product, just don't want to get too crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That only does a low amp charge, I'd like something that does high amp charge and is switchable to do low amp maintenance too. I already have a Battery Tender Jr. (I think the same thing you are talking about) but I have a use for a full charger, but also need to tend an additional battery too..

This is a good economical maintainer. Myself and dad and brother have good success with it.

I get mine from Marine stores. They do it pretty much automatically.

Will trickle and drain the battery on a cycle (not just trickle and keep on trickle charging due to natural loss, it creates a loss thus the batty works a bit).

Then if there is a load such as a drain or while starting, it kicks up the AMPS.

I paid $119.00 for my last one and permanently mounted it.

CJ, the one I posted from harbor freight works that way. I have watched it with a VOM. It will drop below 12vdc, then the sensor on the line will raise it to 14vdc. It cycles and is a good price. It is only a maintainer, not a charger though..

We have never had one to burn out.

Dad has one on lawn tractor and boat. Brother uses it for batteries from small engine repair jobs. I had one on my stang wired to the battery. With a plug in the grill area. Stang was a toy and not a daily driver. My duralast gold battery lasted 10yrs, using one.

As E said, tendors are not chargers persay, my deltrane will charge at 14.5 for maybe 15/30 mins, than it will go into a sleep mode and maintain the batt at 13.3 for weeks on end.

are enexpensive, are not trickle chargers.

Are actually mini computers, they do the job on the cheap.

I LOVED mine on my boat. It pro-longed the life of my batteries by 2 to 3 years.

I had three full time batteries, one per engine and one for the electronics.

As you can imagine, there was always a demand on the one battery. So I purchased an electronic selector switch as well as the tender/charger unit. Costly up-front, but worth EVERY penny for the convenience and the well being of KNOWING my batteries were good to go when I was 40 miles out in the lake.

Priceless at that point.

Latest posts