battery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
The battery goes flat once a week or so. Maybe 'cause I star,t go 1/2 mile with lights and A/C on, shut down and later back home 1/2 mile. Today the charger registered 3.5 amps and down to 2 amps in an hour. Does that sound as though the battery is on its last legs? Also is the gauge just an idiot light? It never wavers! Tks Ed

Sounds like it could be the battery or the altenator, if you live near an Advance auto parts have them check out your charging system, it's a free service.

Depending on the age of the battery, i would be suspicious that the battery is failing. Even new batteries fail. I had an Exide Tuff-One battery with over 800 amps cranking power designed especially for the Texas heat, that died in only 10 months after purchase. When I went back to the shop, they explained that they had been having warranty issues with all Exide battery and offered me a free replacement with a Delco battery with similar power. I took that and did not have any battery problems after that.

I had original battery in my 2001 Sport Trac replaced free under warranty when I only had 11 miles left on my warranty. I also had similar problems with my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix battery and that was also replaced free of charge under the GM original warranty.

Its free and often very quick to have an autopart store like AutoZone check your battery and see if it is defective or not holding a charge, or if you Alternator is not charging properly.

...Rich

Both the battery and the alternator failed at around the three-year/50k mile mark on my '03 Adrenalin. A mechanic friend said that Ford's alternators were much less durable in the late '90s-early 2000s. He said he was replacing a lot of them a year or so out of warranty. My 2010 Limited is coming up to that time frame, but I haven't heard much about alternators lately, so maybe Ford got their issues fixed. We shall see.

Thanks guys, I will have it looked at.

Ed

Latest posts