Bed Light Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
I want to install some lights in the bed since I have a hard cover it's dark back there.

So my plan is to use a hoodpin switch so that when the cover is down the light is off, and cover up light on.

I'm pretty sure I need to use a relay in this config.

4ef4f49a0804214ae4f25515fe9ba987.gif

Can anyone confirm this?

My plan is to pull the positive from the rear cigarette lighter, run it into the relay, and also hookup the switch to the relay. I hope I'm explaining it right, I've only used relays for positive powered turn on's in the past.

I wouldn't think you need a relay as lights don't pull big amps, unless you are talking halogens, but to illuminated the bed you wouldn't use Halos. LEDs pull even less than standard 12V bulbs and companies like Recon et use LEDs in the truck bed lights. /bRAD

When I put lights on my tonneau cover I just tapped into the Power Point wires in the bed. It's on a 20 amp fused circuit. No need for a relay.

Look in the Tonneau Cover folder in my library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Negative. You don't really need a relay, but if you insist, here's how to do it:

30 to hot off power outlet.

Pigtail also off power outlet to pin switch. Pin switch to 86.

85 to ground.

87 to lights, then lights to ground.

I'd urge you not to use a pin switch, as they usually ground through the switch body, and your bed is composite *coughplasticcough*. Try a mercury switch.

The reason a relay is required is because the hoodpin switch is reversed. When the cover is closed would be when the switch has continuity and when the cover is open the switch is also open. So I need to use the relay to convert the switches open status into a positive feed for the lights.

Nothing to do with the draw of the power of the lights.

Dingo: the switch that I have has two wire leads coming off of it.

If that isn't the easiest way please let me know, I'm not trying to overcomplicate things, I just don't know another way.

The mercury switch doesn't seem right either as it would pitch and roll with the truck moving. (But I don't really know anything about them)

Links?

The merc switch would indeed do that, but who would see it to know? :D

Explain this switch further, please. Closed when extended, or closed when retracted?

You can get 12V mercury switches and light all in one unit from any boneyard. GM used them on just about every car they made in the 70s/80s as underhood lights. They will take a 1156 or 93 type 12 auto bulb. they only have one wire (+) and ground to the body so you would have to run a ground wire.

Well turns out I don't have the switch that I thought I did.. or at least I can't find it, so I have to buy something anyways.

I'm worried about it staying on because I don't want a dead battery if I park on an incline. Wouldn't that be a potential problem with a merc switch? Do you have a link to one for this application? I'm finding them but not really any specifics to go along with them.

edit: found one, but still have the question about adjusting for parking on inclines and such..

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a small 15 led hand held from walmart. Plugs into the power point. Magnetic base. I stuck it on the inside tie down at the power point. Also has 6 ft retractable cord...Puts out good light.

JD - I just wired mine off of the dome light. It comes on when you unlock the trac and turns off automatically. If you need it longer turn the dimmer dial until it clicks and it is on until you turn it off. I think that is easier than a relay.

I did a project on it. Click my wrench . . .

Mercury lights mount on an angle and do not come on unless the hood or gate is lifted to at least half way open. They are also easily adjusted by bending the bracket. No issues with coming on while parked, driving et. I like them because they don't require the key to be turned on or the door open to power the lights......you can wire direct to the 12V supply in the bed. It's a perfect solution, I have used them for years in all kinds of applications. You can even get LED bulbs with the 1156/1157 type lamp bases to fit them that draw very little power and allow multiple lights to be used. /bRAD

JD, I had an LED cargo light for sale if you're interested in it. I was going to send it back but I forgot and am now past the return time. I'll take $15 shipped for it. Here's the link.

Latest posts