Bed rail removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blert

1st Gen Owner
2 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I get these ugly black streaks down the sides of my ST. They look to be caused by something under the bed rails. It may just be dirt under there that needs cleaning out. Has anybody taken these off to clean underneath? How do they come off? Is there some kind of double sided sticky tape or some kind of sticky goo or gaskets or something that is rotting out under there? The streaking is worst just below the tie downs.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you use armorall or that new Ice wax stuff or back to black on the rails?

If so that is whats streaking down and turning black.

Use leather conditioning wipes on them it doesnt cause the black streaking.

Good luck im sure others will chime in

Paul H

I started using the Back to Black stuff on my rails and roof rack and I was so happy with how good it look....until after a few days and some rain and then you get all those black streaks. I'm betting it is from whatever you are using to clean them. Paul are you saying that the Ice stuff will cause the streak too because I bought that but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Thanks folks.

I think I will remove them this week and give them a good washing. Then I will have at them with a "Magic Eraser" and then wash them again. They should be nice and clean then.

I concur on the Back-to-Black being the culprit. I get the same streaking after I started using the stuff.

Latest posts