Beer taste changes with my age

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Howell

Reaction score
I love the IPAs for years, would never even sit by an open bottle of stout or porter up until the last few years. I was losing my taste for the IPAs and the lighter beers; I was basically prepared to swear off beer altogether. I was down at a friends place and he offered me a Guinness extra stout. The weather was hot and we had been doing some fencing around the horse area so I figured what the hell, it's cold and wet and I can suffer through the taste. To my surprise I loved it. I have regained my love of beer. I have been seeking out porters and stouts now to try and find a nice selection that I enjoy.

Did your taste in beer change over time?

At first at thought all beer was nasty because I was introduced to it with the redneck waters. It wasn't until a little later that there are great tasting beers of every kind. My taste changes from one purchase to the next and I'll try them all. Recently, my favorite has been Terrapin Hopsecutioner IPA but the one I always go back to is Paulaner Hefeweizen. I like to grab a Sam Adams sampler, too. I've had some good porters and stouts but I usually only buy those on tap at a place I know keeps quality. There isn't a place like that where I live.

On that subject, a lot of awesome seasonal beers are around the corner.

Anytime I'm someplace that has a locally brewed beer on tap, I usually try the darkest they have. Not sure why but the past decade or so that's been my preference :haveabeer:

I used to drink Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz, Grain Belt, and Hamm's beer. Then all those companies turned their beers into piss water around 1980 after the advent of Miller Lite and its sudden popularity. They actually lost ground in the popularity contest and never recovered. The first two are still piss water, but the latter two have gone back to their original formulas and have settled into being niche beers.

I prefer IPA's and some Belgian wheats but there are a few malty beers that I like too. Troegenator Double Bock from Troegs Brothers Brewing being my favorite. PA's antiquated liquor laws can be a pain but they do have the perverse effect of making it easier for microbreweries to be in business. Troeg's, Victory, Yards, Erie Brewing, all make excellent product.

Reminding me of PA beers; Yuengling was illegal in Georgia until a few years ago. Something to do with the bottling process I believe. Their Black & Tan is decent but I didn't understand all the excitement when it became legal here. I suspect it's so popular because it's just a few nickles more than the nasty lites and actually has some flavor. I buy Yuengling when I'm hosting.

I was never a beer fan until I went to Germany and tasted some Real Beer! Don't get me wrong, not all German beer is that good, but the good stuff is GREAT!

I think it's all in the proper balance of Hops. Hops adds the bitterness to beer, and too much is too bitter and not enough makes the beer to weak. (just my opinion?) I prefer a well balanced, mellow beer.

I also don't think all the micro-breweries in this country make beer that tickles my taste buds, but I am always willing to try them. I prefer wine with most foods, except Pizza, Brats, Hot Dogs burgers, and BBQ...Then there is no substitute for a good cold beer ! :haveabeer:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Tea is preferred to beer.

Of course, tea implies sweet for y'all yankees.

Latest posts