Belt change- Thanks Todd Z

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I finnaly got around to putting on the 6/10" shorter serpentine belt Todd recomended. No more Loss of power steering under heavy throttle or slow turning shudering at full steering lock in parking lots. It has done it since new. The factory belt is in great shape. Just longer than it needs to be. Even the tensnior indicator is still inside its limits.

Thanks for the advice Todd...:cool:

Got a part number for the shorter belt? My belt looks fine, but it's 7 years old so I was thinking of replacing it just to be safe. If shorter is better, I'll go that route.

John & Piro,

I just did a search on "Serpentine Belt" and found the part no.:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001-2005 ST belt is a Gates K060865

BUT get a Gates K060860 and you will be much happier !!!!

Todd Z

re: '04 ST serpentine belt? by CraigC,3/30/2008 17:49 PT

Quote:

BUT get a Gates K060860 and you will be much happier !!!!

Why is that? What makes this one better/different?

re: '04 ST serpentine belt? by Todd Z,3/30/2008 18:14 PT

The belt is slightly shorter, IT will grab the pulleys better and keep more tension on the belt as it stretches and breaks in..

Todd Z

re: '04 ST serpentine belt? by shaun ,3/31/2008 04:15 PT

will this stop the belt squeel?

my belt started again aftr 6months.

S.Haskell

re: '04 ST serpentine belt? by Todd Z,3/31/2008 04:45 PT

It stopped mine from chirping and also stopped my belt float at high RPM's, I would loose my power steering because the belt would slip...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
John, I have never had a serpintine belt squeek. Not saying they wont. Most of the serpintines that I had that made noise, made a chattering sound. If you have a squeek, it may be one of your pullys or idlers or tensoner.

Piro, How many miles on your belt. I recomend 60K change it. At 7 years I would change it anyway. Age deteriation sometimes cant be seen. You wouldhave to remove it for inspection. Fold it backwards and you might find hair line cracks in the ribs. Also look at the marks on the tensoner. You might findthe belt has streched to it max wear limit.

The gates K060860 is what I used. The diffulty I had was not much room between the fan and tensoner for a 3/8"long handle ratchet. You have to pull the tensoner all the way back to slip on theshorter belt. I found the easiest way was to thread the belt on all pullies, then slip it on the fixed idler last. The tensoner has a damn strong spring..

Dont buy the goodyear gatorback belt. They grip good but the cross cut notches makes it noisy.

I know some members here dont like the gates rib design. I have ran them for years. Even on high rpm aplications. Always been satisfied with the service and the life. On Fords and other brands.

Eddie,

I'm at 49K, but I figure that after 7 years it makes sense to go ahead and change it. I'll hold onto the old belt and keep it in the Trac as a spare for short-term use if anything happens in the future.

Overall, how hard is it to change the belt? How long does it usually take? Seems like something I can handle, but I want to make sure before I take a crack at it.

Piro. It took me about 20minutes. Because of the tensoner pulley so close to the fan. I used one of my small head 8" handle 3/8" ratchets. Then I used a 1 foot peice of 3/4 pipe for extra leverage. Didnt need the extra leverage for stock belt removal. Tensonor spring was really strong pulled all the way to the stops. Has to be all the way back for the shorter belt to slip on.I found the easiest way was to thread the belt on all pullies, then slip it on the fixed idler last.

The belt is working out well.

Next time It wont take but 10minutes. I know the teknuiqe now.

Ed,

Your welcome......

I am Glad your happy with it.....

Todd Z

Latest posts