best small 4 wheel drive suv's

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
Hey what's everybody suggest for a small 4 wheel drive suv? The wife and I are looking over finances, wondering about changing to a less expensive vehicle but would like 4 wheel drive for winter conditions. Opinions?

I see your in Il. not really known for getting Alot of snow. I would recommend a Saturn VUE AWD. We have an 04 Redline version and love it. 04 thru 07 V6s have the 250hp Honda 3.5L. I consistently get better MPG then my brothers Escape and I have approx. 50 more HP.

there are plenty of them out there too.

You looking Used or new?

Is the 07 Sante Fe 7-passenger any bigger than the standard 5-passenger version, because those things are miniscule.

I've had to ride in the trunk of the 2002 or so normal Santa Fe, and I wouldn't be here if we had been rear ended. If the 3rd row is in the normal position, it isn't worth it.

I don't really recommend the RAV4.

Yeah the 07 Santa Fe is the new model and is longer and roomier.

We also were just rear ended on Thanksgiving night and it held up excellent!!!

Paul H

awd or 4 wheel drive ?

awd: toyota rav4, honda crv, nissan roque

4X4 : ford escape ( i have one in my fleet )

Freeport,

If trying to cut expenses consider gas mileage, payments, insurance and how well the candidate vehicle will hold its value. Edmunds.com has a good TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) analysis for most vehicles, so consider that.

If looking at the Escape, also look at it's sister the Mariner, as there are often different deals and pricing on the Mercury's than the Ford.

TJR

My wife and I have started a similiar search although she still is wanting a GMC Acadia I am trying to convince her to get something a little smaller, cheaper, and better on gas even though I really like the looks of the Acadia. My mother just got a new 2008 Pontiac Torrent and that is alright. The new Mazda (CX9 I think it is) I believe was voted the best new crossover. There are just so many out there to chose from (if you are considering many of the "crossovers" as well as so called "SUVs").

I say escape our '01 was trouble free for 60kmiles. Lost it in flood waters, storm erin. We replaced it with an '08 escape.

What ever you buy I would stay away from anything that spare tire is on the back door. NHSTA has shown that a $200 to $500 rear bump, can turn into $2000 to $3000 in damage to one that the tire is mounted on the rear hatch..

According to Car and Driver, the Rav4 is the best. Motor Trend selected the Honda Odyssey.

If you are looking for a used vehicle, the Escape is widely available and they should be cheap, since Fords don't hold their resell value very well. I rented an Escape this summer and drove it from Baltimore to Kentucky and it was a very nice vehicle. Nice ride, good cargo space and not bad on gasoline. I may actually buy one when I return to the US.

What:eek: a magazine reccomended an import now way!! :rolleyes: We have two ford Escapes in the family and they have been GREAT vehicles 4wd is great and Gas milage isn't to bad either my dad got 27.8 mpg on a trip to florida this year humming along at 75 -80 mph not bad. some of the other small suv's may have more Hp but the Escape REALLY goes it will make you think you have far more than 201 hp under the hood:cool:

Trax is right. The 3.0L V6 escape has plenty of power, to run with any kind of fast moving traffic. I would not let the extra 50hp in other models sway me. My wife has been averaging 21mpg in mixed driving, on her '08. The motor hasnt had the first oil change yet. We recently got 26.7 on a 200mile round trip,at 73mph average. I expect 2 to 3 more out of it after the 3rd oil change. If What the '01 did is any indication.

You guys are crazy. HP is the most important thing to look at. Motorhome manufacturers should put Honda CRV engines into motorhomes. Our Ford 460 Only has 230, or so, HP.

Talk about a slow engine with NO power.

It will push that giant shoebox 75 MPH on the highway all day long.

HP is imaginary. It doesn't exist.

Tom

Hmm now I cant find where I saw that the new Mazda CX? was voted the best, maybe I was just seeing things. Not that I am promoting it as the best I have no idea I just didn't want to be wrong. :D

We did same thing last year, traded wife's Liberty for Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition. Very nice car-- just a little small for my "fatboy" body size... She has put 33,000 mile on it in 12 months-- never been in the shop. She averages 24.6 MPG all around driving.

Take a look at the Suzuki SX4. The absolute most bang for your buck. Getting ready to get one for my son. Crossover or sedan. AWD is standard.