Better Gas Mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAKE JR

Reaction score
What products can I get to get better gas mileage out of my 07 ST??? Also how does ot work.

Thanks in advance:D

Unfortunately snakejr, the only thing that will give you a really noticable increase in MPG is getting yourself a Dodge Neon or the like.:D

There are a few things that will give you a mile here or a tenth of a mile there. Nothing will really increase it except your driving style. These vehicles weren't made for gas mileage.;)

Been tested here in Texas. The state attorney general is filing suit against the company for false claims. Driving style and keeping your car serviced is the only true way, with any vehicle...;)

Good highway tires, control your lead foot, not too much junk in the trunk.

All in all, after 6 years my Trac gets 8-11MPG City and 16-22MPG Highway. Nothing is going to make it jump up and get 30+MPG. Even my friend's Oddysey, which fires on 3 cylinders cruising, gets 26-27MPG unless he's on a long road trip.

I think your money is better spent on good maintenance of your Trac so that it always stays in the proper operating specs, and gives you a good long life so you get your money's worth.

The only snake oil I swear by is a bottle of Dura Lube fuel system cleaner just before every other oil change, and high quality gas from reputable stations.

I know I am 25-27 with my 03 , Jeff C is up near 27 also on the highway and I know Al Franklin just broke 30+ with his 99 4.0L explorer...

IT can be done, Sometimes the cost benefit may take years to recover the money spent, But Like most people have said, Driving habits and regular maintenance will help you a lot..

Todd Z

well, I am getting 16 to 18 in town, and got 23 on the highway on a trip from Amarillo.So along with driving habits there are a few things you can do._Ron

I am getting between 17-19 mpg with my 04 4x4. I had a 02 Explorer with the same 4.0L and I was getting between 20-25 mpg and that was with no mods.

Get a lighter foot.

I agree completely that driving habits play a huge part in MPG. I used to average 17mpg throughout the year (and 21mpg on a roadtrip once) but lately with less highway miles and perhaps new tires, it's down to 14mpg. I bet I can increase mileage by 2mpg if I drove within speed limits and accelerated moderately...but I don't have any patience for that nonsense.

I hear you. I pretty much drive with a lead foot also. Still average 16-17 with just about all city driving. There is no miracle cure.

Ok.. Thanks for the replies... But who here has an 07 ST.. And what type of mileage are you getting?

I have an 07 V-6 XLT. I get around 15 MPG around town. I just did a trip to Louisville last week and got around 20-21 on that. 1500 miles in less than a week and the 20 MPG was awesome compared to what I normally get.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the '07 engine is like the old ones, you will experience a break-in period where the gas mileage will really suck. Gradually, after a few thousand miles, the mileage will approach what is advertised on the window sticker.

just like twight, we are getting 15 in town, 20 on the road, with 5000 on the clock;)