Better Low End??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Im back again with more HP questions.

Im flaking out on the supercharger for now, simply because I dont know or trust anyone to install something like that locally, so id like to get that sorted out before I spend $6k on it.

Anyways... Id like to do any performance mods that will increase low end HP, and high end of course, but the ST is really slow off the start.

Soooo Can people list all the things I can do to help with this problem?

I have the limited slip 4.10 axle

I have a single in, dual out flowmaster exhaust

I have the MAC intake

I am getting the XCal2 very soon (As soon as Wayne emails me back)

I will get the MAFS

I will get the throttle body upgrade by ToddZ

I will get new plugs, and wires (If this makes much difference)

So other than this, what else can I do? Gears... Engine mods?

Im looking for speed and power above anything, so no need to mention gas mileage, etc. Just whatever it takes to get more power out of this sucker ;)

Thank you, and ill hopefully stop asking about these things after this ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Plugs and wires probably won't do anything noticable. You did forget the Y-pipe, UDP and lower rear-end gears in your list. Keep in mind that bolt-ons can only do so much and that's not really all that much anyway. For real power gains, you'll need to rebuild the engine with performance pistons, cam and heads. Higher compression, different valve timing and higher RPM brings the real power gains. Of course, engine doesn't last as long.

It's called - buy a SVT Lightning! You modding a pig of a truck. Short of bolting everything on except a SC you'll get a whopping 25-30 more HP out of that engine. It's not a sports car!

UDP, Y-pipe.... There are other things that you can do, But the $$ factor for the 1 HP gain is not worth it.....

Like headers, 30LB injectors.....

Todd Z

Yeah I know its a pig of a vehicle to try to make fast... There are no easy answers. This is the ONLY reason id like to get the new v8 trac... but at the same time, ive got so much into this one as it is its hard to determine what to do ;)

Sigh... The thing is, I dont really need it to be fast, I just want it to be. There is only so much you can do to the looks, so then it would be off to the engine and thats where im getting f'ed.

SC is the way to go then if you're willing to pony up the money. I know because I did. Only problem though is to make sure that the tuning is right or you'll have a headache from the very start. If you're with in south FL area there is a good shop that installed mine and so far after 5 months thank God its holding up.

Last edited by a moderator:
XLT, to make the trrac faster you need to trim off some weight from the truck. The Factory cover adds about 70 lbs, a brush guard another 40 or so, a trailer hitch another 70 or so, etc. etc. Removing parts is cheaper than buying and installing parts. To give you some more bottom end try a new torque converter. That will get the Trac moving out faster from a stop. Good luck on your quest. By now you know what Don Quixote felt like.