bfg a/t's vibration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Hasty

Reaction score
I just had some bfg a/t's put on a couple weeks ago. I had an alignment done afterwards to make sure everything was ok. I have noticed a slight vibration since I had the tires put on. Is this due to the fact that they are a/t's. I expected a small hum from the tires, but wasn't expecting a vibration. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Are there balancing weights on the outside of the rims ????

if not the static balance is not good for big tires and they need to be rebalanced..

Also check to see if the tires are cupping..

The other thing you can do is rotate them ans see if it changes..

Todd Z

I believe there are weights on the rims. it is an adrenaline. so it has the chrome rims on it. What do you mean by static balancing? What do you mean by cupping? This is the first vehicle I have owned with big tires and what not so that is why i am asking so many questions.

James, i had bf goodrich all terrains on my trac for the last 20k of its life with me and they seemed to be very good and tough tires.. There was some humming, but not really a vibration forsay. By this i mean, with these tires, you will feel every little bump, and every part of the road or trail, but it wasnt annoying. it did take a few days to adjust to. As for cupping, that is where the wheel isnt balanced or aligned correctly and the middle of the tires wear out very quickly or irregularly compared to the rest of the tire. Im not entirely sure what static balancing is, but todd will help u there.

Hope this helps

Andy

i believe static balancing is where they balance the tire by only putting weights on the inside and they do it on nice rims so you dont have a lead weight sticking out like a sore thumb, cupping is where the front and back of each little section of tread wear at a differnt rate if you drive on a dusty road and then a clean road your tire might look like a checker board

Static Balancing is using a bubble ballancer, which is a device you lay the tire/wheel assembly on the balancer which usually has air applied to it and a sight glass with a bubble in it, the arrow on the sight glass needs to be pointing at the valve stem, then weights are placed around the wheel until the bubble is in the center to determine where the weights need to be placed. as opposed to having them "Spin Balanced" where the tire is mounted to the machine and actually spun or rotated at a given speed to determine where the weights need to be placed.