bigger oil filter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raser x

Reaction score
I have been reading that you can switch from the stock size filter (fram TG2) to a larger size like on my Ranger (fram TG8A). The TG2 and TG8A dont interchange different thread diameters. But I don't know what bigger filter would fit a Sporttrac. Anybody running a larger than stock oil filter? If so what is the Stock number. The obvious advantage is more filter media...any disadvantages?

Thanks Guys Do for an oil change and want the wifes Baby to run forever....

Raserx:)

not sure if it is possible but i would say a disadvantage would be our changing how much oil you wouldhave to put in to keep it in the spec on the dipstick

I think if you fill the filter up with oil like you're supposed to before reinstalling, it shouldn't matter. After all, you are essentially filling up all of the excess capacity you added. I don't know of the benefits/risks should something happen and Ford says you're at fault (even though you probably aren't).

You might have a higher (or lower) pressure drop across the filter larger filter. Instead of going with a larger filter, you might want to look at a filter that removes smaller particles; if they exist. You'll stil have a higher pressure drop though. Just change the oil more often if you're worried.

Have you looked at remote oil filters? I'm not sure if there is a kit that fits the SOHC 4.0, but a remote oil filter not only adds more oil to the system, a good thing, but would possibly allow a bigger filter in an easy to get to location, like on the frame.

Once the system is filled and pressurized, there will be no differece on the dipstick.

You will initially have to add the extra 4-6 ounces of oil (no big thing!), to fill up the

extra capacity of the filter, but once this is done, as far as you reading any oil leakage

or oil burning on the dipstick, you will be right where you were before, with 15-30%

better capacity at filtering your oil. Another option, if you can't find a larger filter, is to

change your oil maybe 500 miles sooner, and you should reap the same benefit.

I have done both, depending on whether a larger capacity oil filter was available for my

particuliar vehicle! Make sure you get a quality filter with an anti-drainback valve, to reap

all of the benefits of this slight but worth-the-effort mod!!!:)