Bigger Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I have a 2007 with 17" wheels, and a V8, 6 speed. Any ideas what the biggest tires I can put on without voiding an extended warranty, and can the speedo be reprogrammed to accomodate larger tires?

Thanks,

Eric

Any Larger tires will mess up your speedo (slightly). There's not many options other than going 1/2" shorter, or taller. I assume you want taller. Below will be 1/2" taller than stock 245/65s (but the same height as 18s on Limiteds. Spped will only be off by about 1~2 mph:

255/65/17

275/60/17

Talk to your dealer about extended warranty. Changing tires wouldn't affect anything.

Depends on what kind of look you want. Are you gonna keep the stock rims? Do you want a larger diameter rim? Do you want the "off-road" look or more of a street fighter look. Go to the link below and play with their tire calculator feature to see what sizes will fit. I went to a 20"x8.5" rim with 275/45-20 tires with no fitment issues. So, good luck, let us know what you're gonna do and send pictures. BC

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like there's not a lot of wiggle room on the tires. I go up on the Silver Lake Sand Dunes and air down the tires to 10 lb psi. The more tire I have on the sand, the less I sink in, and therefore can climb better. Also have a bigger footprint. Bigger rims would likely defeat my purpose...although they would be tough looking! I also have that irritating little section of radiator that hangs down behind the front valance I'm going to have to build a shield for. Hitting the upslopes of the dunes at 30 mph packs a punch to the underside of the front end. I'll go and play with the tire calculator now...you know us computer people...always trying to see how it works...

Thanks again

Eric