biggest bang for the buck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and biggest hp gain for the buck probably is the tuner. I enjoy the exhaust the most though.

I've done everything except the SCT tuner from Torrie and the Drive by wire TB from Todd Z.

Truth be told, I'll probably buy the SCT tuner and pass on the TB for now. Then it's off to Lake Placid to Moon Performance for an official AWD Dyno run! I can't wait!

I don't think you can get the 350-400hp you will need to beat an Evo, weighing as much as our Trac's do, out of the 4.0. It's a great engine, but it's built too close to the edge for too much modding. The EE supercharger is probably the closest we're going to get to maxing out the 4.0, and that's REALLY on the edge!

How about some major weight reductions? Do you really need those extra seats? Do you really need AC? How far are you willing to go?

The biggest bang for the buck is Nitros. A kit cost about $500 and will add an additional 50-150 HP at the flip of a switch.

Keep the switch off and it cost you nothing in gas mileage, and if you don't go crazyby adding too much spray (keep it under 100 HP), your engine can tolerate it without blowing up. Too much spray and you will be back to zero with a blown engine.

I am not recommending that you use nitros. I only mention it in the context of your question in as much as it is hands down the biggest HP bang for your buck. Nothing else will add 100HP to a stock engine for $500. Turbos and supercharger kits easily cost over $2000 and are much harder to install and maintain.

...Rich

I'd say exhaust or a tuner, but the tuner needs programmed to be optimized for the exhaust, so I'd say get the exhaust first.

My money is on Dingo. The last dyno test I saw put him at nearly 380hp.

Thats funny.... HE could not dyno his ST at louisville.....

Dyno sheets please...

Todd Z

Traction control on the ST will not let it.... and if you turn it off, it will kick back in over 40MPH...

And if your 4wd, you need a 4wd dyno..

Now yes, you can use computer stuff to disable the traction control, But I have never seen it done..

Todd Z

He saw the Livewire screenshot.

I HAVE figured out how to override the TC, but I haven't yet had time to send out the hats and keychains, much less dyno the truck...

Bill,

I know that turbo or supercharger kits sell for well over $2000 and most are probably 2 or 3 times as much. I only mentioned $2000 because even if I said $4000, someone would claim they baught one for less than $4000, which is still not the point of the question.

Nitrous is still the biggest bang for the buck, and nobody has really answering the question in turms of the HP vs $$$ ratio .... What gains the most HP? and How much is it costing for every additional HP gained?

...Rich

Latest posts