Bike Rack Ideas?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Galvin

Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions regarding a bike rack? I don't particularly want the "hitch" type. And I'm not aware of any Ford product. Could there be something that attaches to the roof rack? Please email me at [email protected].

Thank you very much, Jim

I have this one.

I've even added locking quick release to it. When not in use it comes right out and goes in the truck or in the garage.

Paid 110.00 for it 4 years ago.

[Broken External Image]:

I'm pretty sure Ford Accessories has a rack that will fit on the roof. If they don't, then Yakima or somebody probably does. I have a hitch-mounted rack which I like because it frees up the bed.

Jim,

Do you have the factory rails? I have the capacity to carry 8 bikes on my truck. I have a Thule roof rack that mounted directly to the side rails (run from the fron to the back of the truck) then I have the thule bedrider ( what SST showed a pic of) and then a I have a 4 bike hitch mounted carrier also. The hitchmount is great b\c you don't lose any of your storage space in the bed and you don't have to worry about the truck height being 9 feet high. But it does extend the truck by a good 3 feet. The model I have swings down away from the tailgate so you can still access the bed if you have a cap or a cover on it. Just don't do it when there are 4 bikes on it ( almost impossible to lift back up into place without giving yourself a hernia. The rooftop setup ran around $300-$400 with 2 bike carriers, 2 wheel carriers and locks all around (plus the load bars and fit kit) but the nice thing is that if you replace the vehicle all you need to replace on the rack is the fit kit and your ready to. I can take pictures this weekend of all 3 setups if you need.

Jake

I put together a bed bike rack because I'm really hesitant to put bikes on the back of my truck because of tailgaters- cost me about $300 with the 2 trays and it uses existing holes for the tonneau cover.

[Broken External Image]:

-Heather in OC

This is what I came up with. I didn't want to drill the cover. I used 3M clear bra material under the pads, and cut heater hose where the clips attach so there is no contac with any painted surfaces. You can still open the lid with two bikes loaded (I can't when the front wheels are in the wheel holders, but I usually just toss it behind the seats.

[Broken External Image]:

Sorry about the size of the photo...

I should add, since there isn't an "official" Yakima setup for a Snug Top Lid, so I watched Ebay for a few months. I got the the bars, 4 locking trays, 4 wheel holders, landing pads, ski racks and wind deflector (which I didn't need) for $150.00 I just had to figure out what clips I needed - which I think were #28.

Mike

Latest posts